what to do about a vin

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin53

I'm building a 53 dodge pickup just got done doing a frame swap to a Dakota frame. I have a title but no vin tag the numbers match the frame but I frame swapt it. could I just buy a vin tag and punch my own numbers. What do I do

I would have about the same question My 1950 F-1 don't have an ID tag , that I know of, and Im going to build my own frame ,, so can I get a tag or title for it ? seeing how its a home-made frame . Ive heard if you modify the frame its not legal to put on the road anyway ???? Ive never attempted to do anything like this before , so I don't know but would like to know.. So maybe some one can help us both out :)

Vin ?

There are as many answers to your question as there are states in the Union ! Every state has their own laws concerning what you can and cannot do to title a vehicle. I would suggest you call your local DMV.

Someone else may have a different suggestion.

Lynn

I would have about the same question My 1950 F-1 don't have an ID tag , that I know of, and Im going to build my own frame ,, so can I get a tag or title for it ? seeing how its a home-made frame . Ive heard if you modify the frame its not legal to put on the road anyway ???? Ive never attempted to do anything like this before , so I don't know but would like to know.. So maybe some one can help us both out :)

For your state http://www.dmv.org/al-alabama/custom-built-cars.php

SThanks GJunktionMike .. I wonder if I could just go and get a tag for a 50 ford pick-up and I could get by with that ,, I just wouldn't tell them Its a home-made frame, but of course I was told if it hasn't been tagged for x amount of years it would have to be inspected ,, HMMMMM I guess I'd be screwed then[S

what to do about vin

My truck didn't have a title when I bought it. I had to get a vin inspection done off my frame. The state trooper told me I could get a vin tag for it now that it had a title. We even had it registered with plates. We wanted to upgrade the brakes and I decided to frame swap it. I have a title matching the old frame could I make a vin matching the title. Is it possible they would check the frame again

SThanks GJunktionMike .. I wonder if I could just go and get a tag for a 50 ford pick-up and I could get by with that ,, I just wouldn't tell them Its a home-made frame, but of course I was told if it hasn't been tagged for x amount of years it would have to be inspected ,, HMMMMM I guess I'd be screwed then[S

They don 't inspect anything but a total homebuilt. If you have a vin and a bill of sale, that's all you need. You will have to sign a avadavit ( sp) stating it has not been on the road. Oh yeah, you will need proof of liability insurance. I 've never had them ask to inspect anything,, even with a bill of sale on a paper bag. You will pay taxes on the purchase price, none on a even trade, anything you trade gun, car, boat, etc. Oh, no title required or issued if over 35 years old.

Ok , Bamamav hope I can do it like that then . Which it will be a while , before I get to that point . But I was worried on weather I would be able to run it anyplace I wanted too ..

I think old Ford trucks had the vin tag on the inside of the glovebox.

Don't tell them any more than they ask, just say you want a tag for your truck that hasn't been driven in a while because it was broke down. Hey, if it's in pieces all over the yard, it's broke down, right?:D

AL is pretty cool, in most counties you don't even have to have the bill of sale notarized. I've even traded on paper for guns, boats, even a motorcycle. And since it's so old [over 30 years old], you can get a one time fee Vintage Vehicle tag, and never have to buy another tag as long as you own it!

Lots easier than the guys who have to a title and notarized bill of sale on a hull.

anything 1974 and older doesn't have a title in bama, just a bill of sale. if you bring something from out of state like when i moved here they will check the vin. 1975 was the first year fro titles in bama. that is why i tell everybody that is trying to find a title to try to find family or friends in this state to help them out.

I had a Model A title but no numbers anywhere on the car when I got the project done. I went through the legal procedure with the state and they assigned a serial number and then the troppers affixed the state issued vin plate.

I had a Model A title but no numbers anywhere on the car when I got the project done. I went through the legal procedure with the state and they assigned a serial number and then the troppers affixed the state issued vin plate.

Willow , I know you are done now but all "A' numbers are on the frame underneath were your left foot would sit if the body was still on there . Why they did this "hidden " number thing eludes me but the engine number was also the same as the vin on "A''s.

I always get a laugh when I see A's with a dash plaque w' numbers on it not issued by a state authority as it says to any cop that knows """this car is bogus ""

Oldog

Latest posts

Back