Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Transmission, Rear End... Talk & Q&A!

Transmission, Rear End... Talk & Q&A! Tranny, rear end, drivetrain related stuff... shift it... grind it... pop da clutch!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:11 PM

Default Dr crankinstein

When I put the angle finder on the flat surface of the carb the angle of the carb is at about 2 1/2 degrees tilted forward front of the motor down im not saying the front of the motor is down I'm saying the angle of the carb is nose down. And when I put the angle finder on the out put shaft of the transmission it's at about 2 1/2 degrees . So if I do put the carb angle level it will put the carb at 0 degrees and basically add 2 1/2 degrees to the output shaft making it 5 degrees and making everything look tilted down towards the back if you know what I mean . It's a 460 with a c6 trans. My question basically was would it effect any thing if the carb wasn't level to the frame but the trans out put shaft angle and the rear end angle were opposite and equal which would be 2 1/2 out put shaft and 2 1/2 opposite angle rear end? Thanks for the advice guys
Old 06-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Thanks for clarifying. 2 1/2 down at the output and 2 1/2 up at the pinion is good.

I would take TIMOTHALE's advice and wedge the carb to level... which begs the question, what did the 460 come out of? (5 at the carb flange seems excessive. )

Old 06-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Devil's Advocate

3 degrees down 3 degrees up is my formula, and has always worked perfectly. Like the other fellas here, I am wondering how you are coming up with such an extreme difference at the carb surface...
Old 06-21-2017, 12:12 AM

Default Measuring the carb and then the out put shaft

Yeah seriously that's why I was asking it's like the carb is kicked at an angle stock by a decent amount if I would put it level it makes the valve covers look angled downward towards the back and it's all stock out of a 1986 Ford F-250 that came factory with heavy duty springs in the back 1 ton I believe and the factory c6 with out overdrive
Old 06-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

It's supposed to be lower in the back, that's so the oil will drain back to the pan better. The oil drains are at the ends of the heads. If the valve covers were level the oil could puddle in the heads starving the bottom end.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamav View Post
It's supposed to be lower in the back, that's so the oil will drain back to the pan better. The oil drains are at the ends of the heads. If the valve covers were level the oil could puddle in the heads starving the bottom end.
Exactly. The valve covers are parallel with the crank centerline, so they will also sit on the same 3 degree downward angle when the carb is level. That's how it's supposed to be.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:27 AM

Default carb leveling

When I was an engineer at Ford one of my buddies raced a 427 Cobra. ( he still races it, is the retired head of Ford racing SVO) one of the intake manifolds he used had too much angle. the cobra engine sat with the crank level . the wedges leveled the carbs but took some fiddling to get the linkage right again since the carbbs were then at different heights. .
Old 07-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Factory intakes should be level at the carb base, then the engine angle will be correct. Aftermarket intakes may vary due to their universal design to fit many applications. As long as you have enough rear drop that the oil runs to the back of the heads when it drips off the rockers, you should be OK. Then just measure the amount of rearward drop and set your pinion upward that much as a starting point. You might still have to shim the pinion up or down if you run into a vibration problem.