life saving thread tool

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain

I was trying to get my drum off of my International S110's tapered hub a while back and I could not get it pop off. So I stupidly put too much pressure on the puller with the hub nut off and mushroomed out hub threads. The only way to replace on this truck is to replace the rear of course. After some crying and tool throwing, I starting trying to figure out what I was going to do. I found this tool called a "Chase Em Back" thread chaser. It is hinged and you start with the good threads and work your way out. I just thought I would share. Hopefully someone reads this before they bugger up their threads. Good luck out there!

MTN

Attachments

• International hub buggered.jpg
    International hub buggered.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 99
  • international hub.jpg
    international hub.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 102
Amen brother.....

That's why you leave the nut on while pulling the hub!

seen that happen a lot over the years....to a lot of techs that should have known better so mountain...you are not the first.....glad you got it sorted out....

Thanks for the support. Everytime I do something like this I have to call my father and say, "so I did something stupid, now what?". I am still learning everytime I work on one of my projects. I just hope someone reads this before making the same mistake. Good luck out there!

MTN

In a jam I have made a thread chaser like you describe. I cut a proper sized nut in half so that I could cup the two halves over the good threads that were left, clamped the two halves together with vice grips, and turned the nut so it would travel over the good threads and cut new threads on the damaged portion. It has saved me more than one time.

Don

Also if you have enough threads, (like it seems you do on this one) you can just cut it off!! You'd probably have to redrill a cotter pin hole!!

Latest posts

Back