36 ford pickup, no vin in MI

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

440Clark

I bought a 36 Ford pick-up cab and like an idiot, I didn't even get a bill of sale.
It has no VIN tag. I am about ready to get this thing together but I have no receipts for anything. I was going to use stuff I've had laying around for years. Engine, trans rear end. I can't prove I rightfully own any of this stuff. Is there any chance of titling this car in Michigan? Or should I turn it into a race car and give up on the street car thing? I'd really hate to do that.

I would try to get a bill of sale if you can, I'm not sure the process here, but I imagine you will need to get a new Vin assigned if you do not have one or cannot locate one on the cab.

Might be worth while to visit the secretary of state office and have a chat with them.
Just see what is required to get a title for a 36 Ford that is missing the original Vin tag. They don't need to know its anything custom.

First off a 36 Ford does not have a VIN tag, never did. The engine serial number was stumped on the frame. If you have the frame the serial number is stamped on the top drivers side rail. If not you will have to get a state issued ID number.

Even for an assembled title you will need

I would try to get a bill of sale if you can, I'm not sure the process here, but I imagine you will need to get a new Vin assigned if you do not have one or cannot locate one on the cab.

Might be worth while to visit the secretary of state office and have a chat with them.
Just see what is required to get a title for a 36 Ford that is missing the original Vin tag. They don't need to know its anything custom.

To have a complete list of all the parts you bought, documentation of what parts you had....(photos and or paperwork works with MI. SOS) but most of all the cab and chassis needs to be documented as to where and who you got them from and have any numbers on them.... if you PM me, I'm a MI police officer....I can help you get thru the process....but first off, you need to get a bill of sale for that cab....it's easier in MI than in other states but not a cake walk.....

Latest posts

Back