I want to power my bead roller

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coostv

I have been looking for the right gearmotor that does not cost a ton of beans nor cheap and easily broken...

I have found a couple on Ebay in the neighborhood of a hundred bux that I may bite on. I was just wondering if anyone on the board has done one?

I started with a bead roller from Woodward Fab. I liked it because it seemed to be made from thicker plate than Harbor Freight one I saw in their store. This one is 1/2" and the Harbor Freight one looked like 3/8" or 7/16", it sure did not look as thick. Maybe it was just an illusion.
1xxyja.jpg

slifrm.jpg

25i9duv.jpg

I took it in to work with me and milled off the top and bottom edges in order for it to be squared off. The rest was either laying around my shop or found in the scrap bin at work. Very low cost for a stout machine in the works. I have a stand in the works for it, but I have been on hold with that and paint until I figure out what I can get for a gearmotor.

First project is patching up this old Jeepster. Flanging dies work great! Makes butt welding so much easier. The main purpose for this bead roller was just that, for beads. I have found the flange dies to be very helpful. Just sucks to do a straight line by yourself.

156fup5.jpg

if you end up needing a nice food controller, i have a spare that i bought for when i was going to power my hf one before i got my baileigh. just shoot me a pm

When we bought our bead roller we watched the video where the owner of the company was using one and it was motorized. He also offered a hand operated model, but strongly suggested buying the one with a motor. We did buy the motorized one and are SO happy we did, it makes it much easier to concentrate on running your bead and on some things one guy can do it by himself.

Here is the one we have, you might give them a call to see about a motor. I see theirs is 345 to 1 reduction, so that might help you find another one, if you don't go with them.

http://www.pro-tools.com/m3.htm

Don

Attachments

• DC drive parts.jpg
    DC drive parts.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 150
  • drive complete.jpg
    drive complete.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 142
  • wiring diagramDC.jpg
    wiring diagramDC.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 124
  • completed conversion assemblied (1) A.jpg
    completed conversion assemblied (1) A.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 125
  • finished pictures (10).jpg
    finished pictures (10).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
here is one I developed for my bead roller.
I used a HF winch and a dc power supply and pulse width modulator (speed cintroller). I turns about 28 rpms and is rated at 1-1/2 hp. I wired up a foot controller to free up the hands.
One of the bead rollers I have built.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aAOQAGsV38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nubTndog45I
have fun
tom

I just saw yours last night on another forum.

I have a careful eye on the auction site for a motor. I think I may end up going 90 vdc and buying a controller for it.

prices

I went for the 12 volt DC.
winch HF clearance $40.
Ebay power supply 12v 30 amp $40.
ebay PWM 12 v 30 amp $28.
motor draws 18 amps plenty of torque.

have fun
Tom

This is a great setup, I do have a question what is the 100 ohm resistor needed or used for. You've done a great job in building your roller. I'm gathering pieces to power mine as well I did about the same thing with turning down the take-up to accept a drive sprocket. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Eric

This post is from 2011, you may not get an answer.
On mine I used a reversible ac gear motor, go cart sprocket and chain,3 way light switch and pedal off a sewing machine.

Attachments

• 2012-03-25 23.30.25.jpg
    2012-03-25 23.30.25.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back