Sheer or nibbler?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52 fordman

Okay the question is what do you use most to cut sheet metal and why?
Air or electric powered? and what brand is it? I am looking to get one in the next few days or so and want to know the pros and cons of these.

Thank you

52 fordman

I have an air nibbler and electric shears.Just HFcrap but no more than I use them have worked well.

I've got an air nibbler I got from TP tools and the thing is AWESOME!!! Takes a lil time to get used to using but I love it for the fact no real sharp edges cuts kwik an electric or air shear is probably gonna be easier to get perfect straight lines cut but I just stay 1/8" or so away from the line with my nibbler and just hit it with the grinder afterwards to get me lines cleaned up

Cons of the nibbler - All the little fingernail pieces on the floor they are sharp as hell and hurt when you kneel down on them LOL

Ive got both too.
Milwaukee double shear electric. I've got the scissor style blades for this but don't like them at all :(
Makita nibblers electric and like LD said the finger nail pieces do smart especially if someone is barefoot :eek:

I bought a little hobart plasma a couple years ago.. I had a job lined that I needed to cut several hundred 2 and 3" holes in 1/8" steel or I wouldn't have been able to justify the cost..sure don't regret the purchase though

I have both as well. My dog likes to spend time in the shop so I haven't used the nibbler in a few years. I also purchased a plasma for sheetmetal a few years back and I use it a LOT. My only regret with the plasma is I didn't get a bigger one...

Shear, Nibbler or Plasma Cutter

Definitely a foot stomp shear for the straight stuff, but for anything with curves or arcs, plasma cutter. Those clippings from the nibbler get embedded into your boots, then tear up your carpet and trash your wood floors. Nibbler - effective, but costly.

Definitely a foot stomp shear for the straight stuff, but for anything with curves or arcs, plasma cutter. Those clippings from the nibbler get embedded into your boots, then tear up your carpet and trash your wood floors. Nibbler - effective, but costly.

Man, isn't that the truth. As effective as our nibbler is, the little half moon clippings are impossible to get rid of. They get into everything and just when you think you have them cleaned up you find more stuck in your shoes and everywhere else. I even had to remove one from one of our cats paws, she was limping around one day. :(

Don

nibbler.jpg

get one of each or as many as you can afford. There is always something you need one or the other to do. [;)

An air powered sawzall works great to,,small size and blades about 3ins long,,makes great curves and cuts really good with control. ive used one in the body shop for years. And the nibbler does leave all those sharp little pieces that get everywhere.

Latest posts

Back