made my own bead roller dies

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
So when I took my 1950 GMC 2T apart for my latest build what should come rolling out from under the seat but a chunk of 3" bar stock. I have been wanting to get more dies for the bead roller for a while but have been to cheap to pull the trigger. So I have had an extra 1/2 hour here and there and filled my time with making some dies. Are they less expensive than buying them? Not at all. I didnot spend any out of pocket cash making them but I did spend about 6 hours total along with electricity, welding gas, supplies etc. that makes these more expensive. But they are just what I needed to keep my adled brain in line and I can make any profile I want.

Cutting Bar stock
ResizedImage_1360616917758.jpg

holes bored and 1/2 of them broached
ResizedImage_1361134314799.jpg

start of my tipping die
ResizedImage_1361134290039.jpg

finished tipping die
ResizedImage_1361136916712.jpg

Test panel of the tipping die with the complete wrong lower! Still need a skate board wheel to finish the set so I just used the 1/4" bead lower to run this. This was done with 20 seconds of tipping and 30 second of hammer work on the anvil.
ResizedImage_1361137768243.jpg

And I made a set of 1/8" step dies too. Don't mind the test panel. I just ran the dies around it to see if they will work or mark the metal. Cornfield Customs I am not! Lol! I may need to polish the step a little more as it leaves just a hint of a line behind.

ResizedImage_1361138906726.jpg

ResizedImage_1361140673834.jpg

I just looked under my S-10 seat hoping there was a bear roller under there. No luck!

Sure like the home made dies. You are a true do-it-yourselfer.

This is something I have thought about attempting. Just haven't found the time....

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have an english wheel and planishing hammer kit sitting in a box just waiting for me to make a frame for it. They have been there for 6 years.....:confused:

Very nice work on the dies.....

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have an english wheel and planishing hammer kit sitting in a box just waiting for me to make a frame for it. They have been there for 6 years.....:confused:

Now.....get to work on that frame!!! :D

I have a couple of buddies that I'm always raggin on "do you want to build tools or cars/Harleys". One is listening but we still build one off tooling all the time. Nice job on the rolls.

Don

Latest posts

Back