fule pump help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinman

pump went out on my 37 ford...had a little can type carter on it worked ok but did not last..got a hi performance rotor carter pump...installed it but it never shuts off.. is this how this kind of pumps works? if I pull line off carb I can fill a gas can..and it seems like it never fills the filter I have in front of the pump. parts store replaced the old one but from what I see on line , I don't have much faith in it. first one did not last long...thats what im running now. but keep thinking its going to quit!! takes the fun out of it !! anybody run a rotor pump ? is that the way it works? any help would be great!! [S

That's the way they work.
You need a pressure regulator to set the pressure to 4 to 7 psi.
I filter the fuel before the pump and install a 1/4" return line so the pump don't dead head and cavitate the fuel which will shorten the life of the pump.

Most of the time a electric pump won't keep a filter full, don't know why, but it's just something I've noticed before. They are designed to run all the time [except for the old AC bellows type that only ran when the pressure dropped so low]. I've had better luck with the Purolator cube style pumps, they seem to outlast the rotary type. Not near as noisy, either.

You didn't mention what carb you're using. Different carbs need different pressure. I always use an elec fuel pump with a regulator and pressure gauge.

iSore

Latest posts

Back