A Hupmobile ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know you're old when you get hurt in the shop and don't know how it happened. Another short injury time out. Back at it tomorrow, but on light duty.

Tried to mount the steering box in its original location a few days ago. There is a fight for space between the box and the engine. The engine won. The box will be relocated.

You know you're old when you get hurt in the shop and don't know how it happened. Another short injury time out. Back at it tomorrow, but on light duty.

I seem to do that a lot anymore. I'll be working away on something, notice blood running out of my hand or arm, and have no idea when or how I did it. If I don't wear gloves, my hands will look like hamburger in just a little while. I even bought some Kelvar welding sleeves to protect my arms. They seem to help, I can just rub against something hard and be bruised and bleeding anymore, and I'm not on any meds like blood thinners that would cause that.

The steering box is moving up and back and wider from its original location. It mounts to a casting that was riveted to the frame. The roughed out mount you see has the casting bolted inside. See how close it is to the exhaust manifold. I'll fit a steering column and wheel to it to make sure it is in a comfortable driving position. Then the box mounting bracket can be finished and welded in place.

Attachments

• Steering Mount 001.jpg
    Steering Mount 001.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Steering Mount 002.jpg
    Steering Mount 002.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Steering Mount 003.jpg
    Steering Mount 003.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Steering Mount 004.jpg
    Steering Mount 004.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 25
Did a mock up and it looks like this column and steering wheel will be located just fine. Finish welded the bracket and dressed it up. That's it for today. When I got the Hupmobile cowl from the junk yard the steering column was attached. On the column drop was this very cool piece of decorated sheet metal. VIN number I guess. The last pic is of a hood ornament depicting the very rare water bird known as the Hup. The wings were missing so I carved the bird some new ones. It might find its final perch on the radiator shell.

Attachments

• Bracket Done 001.jpg
    Bracket Done 001.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Bracket Done 002.jpg
    Bracket Done 002.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Bracket Done 003.jpg
    Bracket Done 003.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Bracket Done 005.jpg
    Bracket Done 005.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 21
  • Bracket Done 006.jpg
    Bracket Done 006.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
More fiddling around with the steering stuff. The Hupmobile steering column has this really cool aluminum lower hub for the original wheel. After all these years it cleaned up really well. The shaft is an inch in diameter and has two hollow shafts inside it. Probably throttle and spark. I enlarged the center hole in this swap meet steering wheel and drilled 8 holes in it to mount to the hub.
Here's a shot of the Renault engine bay waiting for some horsepower. But first there is welding to do underneath and paint to splash on it. Waiting for warmer weather to get back on the Renault.

Attachments

• Steering Wheel 001.jpg
    Steering Wheel 001.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Steering Wheel 002.jpg
    Steering Wheel 002.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Steering Wheel 003.jpg
    Steering Wheel 003.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 32
Coming along nicely Bob... Cool beans on the steering imagineering!

As far as the bleed goes....yah I think it an old guy thing. Thin skin.

I had a guy that used to work for me that had a very thinning almost bald head. Dicks head was always bleeding....blood running down his forehead and he never knew it. He also used to drool...right in the middle of a conversation.

Well.....I'm always bleeding and drooling too... WTF!

Just lightly scratch my arm and I'm bleeding....but I am having a ball!

Did a mock up and it looks like this column and steering wheel will be located just fine. Finish welded the bracket and dressed it up. That's it for today. When I got the Hupmobile cowl from the junk yard the steering column was attached. On the column drop was this very cool piece of decorated sheet metal. VIN number I guess. The last pic is of a hood ornament depicting the very rare water bird known as the Hup. The wings were missing so I carved the bird some new ones. It might find its final perch on the radiator shell.

So many absolutely cool details. That's what it's all about. [cl[;)[cl

[P[P[P

Thanks for the kind remarks, guys. It is really appreciated. Nothing noteworthy today so I snapped a pic of some back yard trespassers this afternoon.

Attachments

• Deer 002.jpg
    Deer 002.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 32
The pedals are all in. And so am I. Had enough energy to install the shifter and emergency brake. But, things are not what they seem. The car has a 350 turbo transmission. The shift stick doesn't shift. The clutch pedal doesn't clutch. And the emergency brake handle shifts the automatic trans. It will be fun at cruises to see how many people catch it. Sort like fake patina. You can go along with the deception or not.

No blood loss today.

On to the steering column.

Attachments

• Pedals 001.jpg
    Pedals 001.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Pedals 004.jpg
    Pedals 004.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Pedals 005.jpg
    Pedals 005.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 29