Hi Kids!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da_bull

A couple questions. I am doing a 29 Model A sedan. I am building my own frame from 2x3x3/16" tubing. Doing air bags in all four corners. Rear seems easy, doing a triangulated 4-bar. My question wanders around the front end. Those that have built them. What caster angle do y'all set yours? Is some built into the axle? It's a new axle from SAE-Speed out of California. I ordered some split wishy's from Speedway with a heim joint at the rear. I know the SBC has been played out, but that's what I have. If I can find a Chevy straight six, that's what I would like to have eventually. I have an empty block and trans for mock up, but I need to know if I need to incorporate some caster in there, and how that plays with air springs. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5456.jpg
    IMG_5456.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5418.jpg
    IMG_5418.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 18
Looks like a good score!!!

With my air suspension solid axles I run 7°caster
I have build a hand full now and have had no issues

Make sure its 7° at ride height

Looks like a good score!!!

With my air suspension solid axles I run 7°caster
I have build a hand full now and have had no issues

Make sure its 7° at ride height

7...noted. And to that, how much will it change when the complete motor is set in there compared to an empty block, and empty trans case? I suspect most of the rear stuff really wont come into play (gas tank behind the rear axle, but rear suspension in front of it). i.e. mock it up at 5 degrees, and then when the complete motor is set in, it'll squash it to 7? Sounds reasonable?

Just checked out your "Cleopatra" That's snazzy! Your frame is VERY similar to what I had pictured in my pea-brain.

Oh yeah. Any particular angle from the front axle to wishbones as they head back to the frame mount? Min/Max figures?

If you pick 4" as a ride height it wont matter what is attached to the frame. I run the hair pin angle the same as the caster.

Fish plate all your joints. Its easier to do it the first time than to go back after its bent and fix it!!

Fish plate all your joints. Its easier to do it the first time than to go back after its bent and fix it!!

Lol, I'll bet. Been viewing your YT channel on that build. How do those sleeve style air springs perform? I bought the normal style bags for the rear and figure I'd use one of them to mock up the front, but I REALLY like the looks of that skinny, tall bag. And attaching to the wishbones is a great idea.

Lol, I'll bet. Been viewing your YT channel on that build. How do those sleeve style air springs perform? I bought the normal style bags for the rear and figure I'd use one of them to mock up the front, but I REALLY like the looks of that skinny, tall bag. And attaching to the wishbones is a great idea.

They worked but not the greatest. They were right at the Max of their lifting capacity. It took 200 pounds of air to pick that car up because they're so small

do you have a build thread[P[P[P

Later:cool:

Yes sir I will. Awaiting triangulated rear "stuff", and I think I can begin. Gotta build me a stout table first that will keep things straight and true, and the ability to clamp pieces down.

They worked but not the greatest. They were right at the Max of their lifting capacity. It took 200 pounds of air to pick that car up because they're so small

LB50, if you dont mind me asking, what was the width (backplate to backplate) on the rear end? I saw here: https://www.quickperformance.com/Suspension-Measurements_ep_44.html that the rear out of an S10 will fit. The one I bought today was only 48" backplate to backplate (54" at the wheel face). I'm guessing the people on another forum, saying an S10 would work are NOT channeling the body and NOT setting the frame on the ground, lol. Bringing a tape measure next time...

LB50, if you dont mind me asking, what was the width (backplate to backplate) on the rear end? I saw here: https://www.quickperformance.com/Suspension-Measurements_ep_44.html that the rear out of an S10 will fit. The one I bought today was only 48" backplate to backplate (54" at the wheel face). I'm guessing the people on another forum, saying an S10 would work are NOT channeling the body and NOT setting the frame on the ground, lol. Bringing a tape measure next time...

The rear end dont that car was wider then that. It was from a mid 70s ford pickup. Not 100% sure on the measurment

That rear comes from a 2wheel drive s10, 4wheel drive rears are 4.1/2 inches wider.

That's what I was told too and I had no reason to doubt him. The CL pics were definitely an S10. I was just going off that link I provided two threads up. That link I had provided above said that the S10 rears would fit. Definitely NOT the case, lol. I dont even think the 4WD ones would fit. Needs to be at least 8" if not 10" wider than what I bought unfortunately.

The rear end dont that car was wider then that. It was from a mid 70s ford pickup. Not 100% sure on the measurment
Gotcha. I did some more measuring of what I have, and definitely bringing a tape measure before my next purchase, lol...

Gotcha. I did some more measuring of what I have, and definitely bringing a tape measure before my next purchase, lol...

I want to say it was in the 60s if I remember correctly. But don't quote me on that[S

Latest posts

Back