I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've got to stop having so much fun, Bob. You are making the rest of us look bad. :D

Those carbs look great on there, bet they wake it up a lot. You might want to carry a few carb spacers with you and add some to see if it helps or hurts.

Black Lines Matter

Aired up the slicks (they lose a lot sitting), fired it up (running kinda rough, needs fine adjustments), backed down the driveway , stopped, put 'er in Low, held the brake, revved to 3 grand, and let 'er rip. Without the trans brake. No bog, no hesitation, just rapid forward motion, and wheelspin. Did the same with the trans brake. Same good result. I'm pretty happy.

Not so happy that I went to ER at 3:00am with a very hard calf. Was afraid of another blood clot. It was. Started on medicine that should clear it up, just like last time. Lucky no pieces broke off and went to my lungs or head.

So, I'm debating whether I should go along or chill at home.

Don, I'd be having a great time if I could just stay healthy.

Attachments

• Black Lines Matter 001.jpg
    Black Lines Matter 001.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Black Lines Matter 002.jpg
    Black Lines Matter 002.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 32
driveway graphix look good to me :cool:

yea, health is a thingy ,isnt it... is chill at home what Mrs.W. is telling you?
I know what Mrs Dutch would say. The opposite of what I would, but she`s always right... :rolleyes:

Well Bob, with our health issues I would lean to staying home. Not what I would want to do but for sure the smart thing to do. Dave & other crew friend can make it happen. Sounds like you are on the right track from those driveway slick marks. Put her on a track with some rubber and I am sure Dave can get some bite. Still looking for that first 10.99 or better.

From past racing I have been their before, new intake, new carbs, new convertor, new trans switch. Hard to keep that positive feeling when you have not run this setup. From what I see in the driveway I would be real happy!!!!!
Now if we can stay healthy & have some fun. Best of luck on both fronts.

You and the Mrs. will have to make that call. Remember help is just three numbers away (911).:eek:
Good vibs for what ever you do. [cl

I Went Anyway

Hey, the doc didn't say stay home. Dave and I loaded truck and put the dragster on the trailer. Left at 9:00 for Rock Falls Raceway. Ten minutes on the freeway the whole rig started shaking. Blown trailer tire. We put the spare on with our butts in the slow lane where the semis were only going 70mph. The spare rubbed the inner fender brace emitting an eerie squealing sound. Rode like that for 35 miles and stopped at a Fleet Farm Store. $220.00 later I had two new trailer tires on rims. Should have done it a year ago.
Being late arrivals, it was a snap to get in, unload and go through tech. It was warm and very humid.
The car ran great, just not the e.t. I was hoping for. Changed Jets 2 sizes. They were the only ones I had. Not much change. Seems really lean. We did get the 60' time down to 1.50. Best was 11.40-something.
There were about 125 early style drag cars and some traditional street rods. Larry Arnold from Winnipeg and a member here had his Altered, Sheets and Giggles. Larry has a smaller engine in so he was figuring out the tune up. We had a nice visit. My friends Terry & Lee were running strong at 10.30's with their shortened '29 Studebaker, Tator. They're members here too.
We left in the late afternoon. I was pretty tired and I still have the remnants of the blood clot in my left leg. The weather forecast for today was not promising so we stayed home. The strip was hoping to run at least part of the day.
The Fall Out is my favorite event of the year. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• Fall Out 4 002.jpg
    Fall Out 4 002.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Fall Out 4 001.jpg
    Fall Out 4 001.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Fall Out 4 003.jpg
    Fall Out 4 003.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Fall Out 4 004.jpg
    Fall Out 4 004.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Fall Out 4 005.jpg
    Fall Out 4 005.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Fall Out 4 006.jpg
    Fall Out 4 006.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Fall Out 4 007.jpg
    Fall Out 4 007.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Fall Out 4 008.jpg
    Fall Out 4 008.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Fall Out 4 009.jpg
    Fall Out 4 009.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Fall Out 4 010.jpg
    Fall Out 4 010.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 55
Yes, on nitro. Nothing quite like it. The car is very impressive. Has run Drag Week, I believe.

Yep. I have been following him over on the HAMB. He didn't make drag week this year for some reason. Saw the videos from last year, very impressive. Supposedly he's a heart surgeon, so I guess he's got the big bucks for big boy toys, lol.:D

Well Bob, sounds like "You & Car" where running OK for the weekend. Are you running a pair of Autolite 2100/2150 1.14 or 1.21 venturi carbs? What jets did you have when you started? What size did you put in?

Nothing like a nice day at the drags! Henry J's always make kool lookin' drag cars IMO! Funny... I was just thinkin' about what I might do with my Crosley wagon this morning!

BoB

Well Bob, sounds like "You & Car" where running OK for the weekend. Are you running a pair of Autolite 2100/2150 1.14 or 1.21 venturi carbs? What jets did you have when you started? What size did you put in?
One friend came up to me and said, "You need a third carb." He may be right. I now have 1.08 venturi carbs. They are rated at 287 cfm each. But that is at 3.0 inches of mercury. Most carbs are rated at 1.5 inches. That greatly reduces the cfm. Started with #48 jets (stock) and put #50 jets, which cost me $30.00 and resulted in just a 1 mph improvement. Plugs are very clean.

Searching the internet I found a post where a guy took Autolite 4 bbls to a NASCAR flow bench. Tests were run at 1.5 inches of mercury. A 4bbl with 1.08 primary venturies and 1.18 secondary venruries flowed 441 cfm. My two 2 bbls would flow less than that on that flow bench. A 4 bbl with 1.12 primary venturies and 1.18 secondary venturies flowed 520cfm. Remember, I had a 750 cfm 4 bbl Holley with vacuum secondaries on it.

I went to an on line calculator (Wallace Racing) and my set up could use 600cfm. So I could be 200 cfm short. Jetting much more with these carbs might be a waste of time and money.

Do you see any errors in my conculsions, Tom? Your vast experience is important to me.

BTW, the bad weather stayed away Saturday and everyone that stayed (that's almost everybody) raced all day.

Latest posts

Back