My Dodge Bros coupe!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like "The Bear" was a heck of a guy and it was your good fortune to know him. Glad to see you are moving right along on the Dodge.

Bob,
He was quite the character. There was nothing he couldn't do & amazed me constantly. He never really cared much for money but made it at will for fun (he could have made of ton if he wanted to). He was a model maker supreme & used to make these rhino head & shoulders & sell them to rich cats! Made them out of fiberglass, painted them, put in glass eyes, eyelashes... the whole works! I promise you couldn't tell they were man-made.. they looked so real. Made the mold from a real head & shoulders he 'borrowed' from the Houston Museum of Natural Science! He liked guns & for fun had a .50 cal single shot rifle... needless to say... you had to use a tripod to shoot it! Long live The Bear!!!

BoB

Attachments

• thebear.jpg
    thebear.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 40
Spent the day on the frame. Made some internal gussets, got um cut out, welded in & buttoned it up, dropped the level on it & it was spot on!

BoB

Attachments

• 1stside.jpg
    1stside.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 51
  • holes.jpg
    holes.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 53
  • cardboard.jpg
    cardboard.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 47
  • template.jpg
    template.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 48
  • filledholes.jpg
    filledholes.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 50
  • holesground.jpg
    holesground.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 50
  • weldedz.jpg
    weldedz.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 52
  • level.jpg
    level.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 48
Frame is looking great. [cl
From the picture it looks like your friends rifle is a Flintlock. I had a few of those my self. The largest bore being a .64 Cal and the smallest being .40 cal which I used for competition shooting.
I would have liked to have known your friend Bear. :)
Torchie

Got a matching pair... now on to the front Z!

Frame is looking great. [cl
From the picture it looks like your friends rifle is a Flintlock. I had a few of those my self. The largest bore being a .64 Cal and the smallest being .40 cal which I used for competition shooting.
I would have liked to have known your friend Bear. :)
Torchie

Torchie... he had some kool stuff for sure!

Attachments

• pair.jpg
    pair.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 44
Rails finally done... now to get the front & rear crossmembers in! [;)[;)[;)

BoB

Attachments

• rails.jpg
    rails.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 56
Fixing to install the front crossmember pipe for my suicide front end but not the best at plasma cutting so I made a lil jig to test my abilities. Using spare steel before I move on to the real thing. Will make a better jig too. After I changed my consumables... my 2nd try was much better. [;)[;)[;)

BoB

Attachments

• plasmahole.JPG
    plasmahole.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 55
I made a lil jig for cutting holes for the front cross member &... it took a while. On a small circle... just a lil bit of error ain't gonna get it. Got pretty frustrating... too big... then too small... then too big. I wanted a really tight fit so after foolin' with it for a whole day... I finally got er done. Did this testing on some old 2x4 stock I had layin' around... now on to the real thing! [;)[;)[;)

BoB

Attachments

• many.jpg
    many.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 43
  • perfect.jpg
    perfect.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 44
Got the front cross member set to install the schedule 40 pipe! Hope to have a roller soon!!! [;)[;)[;)

BoB

Attachments

• insidehole.jpg
    insidehole.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 35
  • outsidecut.jpg
    outsidecut.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 32
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 33
  • outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 32
Good job on the plasma cutter holes.[cl [cl [cl
About the only thing I use mine for is when I am making garden art. And I free hand all of that.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Lookin good. One trick I use for cutting with the plasma cutter is to make a pattern from masonite that is 3/16 of an inch bigger or smaller than the piece I'm cutting out depending on whether I'm cutting inside or outside the pattern. then I cut with the drag tip against the pattern. You plasma cutter may have a different offset. The patterns don't last forever but you can get quite a few uses out of them. Another thing I do is save old bearing races and other round thinds that the tip of the plasma cutter fits against for cutting circles, they also work well with the oxy/acetylene tourch too.

Lookin good. One trick I use for cutting with the plasma cutter is to make a pattern from masonite that is 3/16 of an inch bigger or smaller than the piece I'm cutting out depending on whether I'm cutting inside or outside the pattern. then I cut with the drag tip against the pattern. You plasma cutter may have a different offset. The patterns don't last forever but you can get quite a few uses out of them. Another thing I do is save old bearing races and other round thinds that the tip of the plasma cutter fits against for cutting circles, they also work well with the oxy/acetylene tourch too.
I like the torch trick where you make a clamp on pointy attachment to use as the center for cutting the arc. I don't even know where mine is any more. Easy to make. Very accurate.

Fixing to square the frame up & getting the cross members set.

You can also get one with a magnet for the center. I haven't got one yet or tried one but its on my list.

I saw those but made mine with a piece of scrap bar stock, a nut, bolt & a couple washers... I'm cheap! [ddd:D

BoB

Attachments

• front cross.JPG
    front cross.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 45
  • back cross.jpg
    back cross.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 49
Got my frame set up the way I wanted it & it was time to see if it was square so I drilled a small hole in the front & the rear of each side & put in a pop rivet without popping it all the way to use for measuring. After measuring... only 1/16 off... good enought for me. Couldn't believe it! Now on to sandblasting the front & rear cross members & welding them in! [;)[;)[;)

BoB

Attachments

• frontpin.JPG
    frontpin.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 36
  • rearpin.JPG
    rearpin.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back