Tractor paint

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
With the high price of automotive finishes, I have been looking at tractor paint. It's like 30 bucks a gallon at the local farm and ranch supply. Anyone used it? I am pretty sure my rod will get some when the time comes.

Green...red.....blue... yellow....orange, and flat black. When I was a kid we restored old tractors, you can't beat real John Deere paint. Ford blue and grey are great also.

spending #$$$

its a get what you pay for
bought some stuff at fleet farm and is not skuff resistant or sun resistant
its cheep and covers
the hardner helps

bought some for my 30 Ford and replaced some of the colors w better paint

how long don you want it to last??
maybee get 5years out of the cheep stuff and it will fade fast what look do you want??

I kind of like the faded look, better than bare metal or primer. Most of the old cars I junk out have a had a couple brush repaints over the years and it looks kinda cool when the layers are weathering off. So $30 gal. for a five year paintjob or $300+ per ga. for one that might last a little longer? It isn't a show car and I don't want to run around in primer and be constatly asked when I am going to finnish it.

I'm going with the Valspar low gloss black from our local farm store. I've seen a couple that guys have done around here and it looks nice. Not to flat, not to glossy. Just rite!

4-1.jpg

This one is painted Ford tractor Grey and International Harvester Red. Valspar brand from Fleet Farm. Don't spray it in a cold garage; it will run easily.

A while back I had used some Vermeer Yellow. You usually see large equipment painted with this stuff and its hard as a nail. I tried to sand on it and that was a chore in itself. not sure how long it would have lasted but if you want that "rugged and fresh from the work farm" look then that stuff is not too bad. Again, it is what it is.... not show car material.

Heres mine, painted with Valspar semi gloss black and Ford red from Tractor Supply.

Attachments

• ratrod1.jpg
    ratrod1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 49
paint

I've found that tractor paint is very durable, but be ready to keep your ride free of dust etc, since it takes a long time for it to dry. Be sure to use a high quality brush, like red fox hair. Ideal conditions are about 70 to 80 degrees, low humidity.

When I was 15 (1957, we could get a license at 15 then) my friend Ron, said his dad was going to paint Ron's '49 Chevy with a brush. Ron's dad had customized cars and was respected by all us kids. We were sure Ron's dad had lost it and was going to ruin the car. We stood around and watched as the Chevy was brush painted. Boy were we surprised at how nice it turned out.
The grey roadster I posted on Page 1 has the frame and scallops painted by brush. Worked out just fine.

Latest posts

Back