do ratrods need a new name?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it!

I love the term "Rat Rod"!!! And I especially love the fact that just the mention of the term irritates some people to no end & makes them lose their kool... as if they really ever had any! Imagine getting PO'd just by two stupid little words... Rat Rod! That really makes me smile!!! :D:D:D

BoB

Back in the "Olden Days", the mid-50's, we all called our modified cars...well...cars. Terms like, "my coupe" or "the '32" were common ways of identifying a car. I never heard someone refer to their car as a "Hot Rod".
I too like the term "Rat Rod". At shows, the kids and adults that aren't very experienced have really taken a liking to the term. Those kinds of spectators are quick to look at a rat rod and talk to the owner, because they know the owner doesn't take himself too seriously. I think what irritates the "Tradtiional Rod" guys is that the inexperienced viewer frequently calls their cars "Rat Rods". What self loving Traditional Rod owner would like being lumped in with the likes of us?:D

do rat rods need a new name?

im just a rat rod guy livin in a rat rod world, so in a word, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D no :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dp1

I love the term "Rat Rod"!!! And I especially love the fact that just the mention of the term irritates some people to no end & makes them lose their kool... as if they really ever had any! Imagine getting PO'd just by two stupid little words... Rat Rod! That really makes me smile!!! :D:D:D

BoB
THAT! is why we're here.

Rat rod, hot rod, traditional, all just words. Although the average person "identifies" them as rat rods, it really does`nt matter to me. Names don`t mean that much to me. All just different ways to say COOL!:D

Rat rod, hot rod, traditional, all just words. Although the average person "identifies" them as rat rods, it really does`nt matter to me. Names don`t mean that much to me. All just different ways to say COOL!:D

I'm gonna call mine Sally and if anyone else calls her I'm gonna call her Whore.

To me a "RAT ROD" is what appears to be a low budget hot rod with no non essential parts. Sometimes it it is very costly appar low budget.

A lot of the so called "RAT RODS" to me are "REDICLIOUS RODS"

Because of this TITLE BS

WTF KUSTOMS has donated a trophy to a local car show comming up April 11th for the Rat Rod Class BUT the trophy will read "Best Traditional Home Built" Lets see someone cry about that.

Kinda like the ol days with bikes, parents roll up the windows and the kids give you the thumbs up :cool:

Depends on where you go. I've been places with a group of guys where you still see people get all weird around a bunch of bikers.

I like the name Rat Rod, I even like the looks I get. Its just like building Honda's, or riding Rockets. Someone out there will hate you for it or not understand your reasoning for what you do.

Bikers just aren't very intimidating any more. I watch them during Sturgis and remember how it was when I last went 20 some years ago. Same bikers now only they are old gray retired and fat. Their old ladys arm flaps are like some wrinkled tatooed leather flapping in the wind. I remember the "show your t*ts" shirts from the 80s. Now it's "please don't show your t*ts":p

new name

It's all in what you mean when you say "ratrod".....no matter what you call it there are those who will make something different from it.the bad vibe is from people who don't appreciate all forms of cars........there are some cars I see that to me are a TOTAL waste of time and money, but their owners's love them................THAT'S what it's all about!!!!!!!!! I get good and bad looks and comments whether I am in my 87 chev truck w/9" lift and caddy 500, my chopped up mail jeep w/ 4.3 H.O., my old 'stang, or my beloved '38 Ford RATROD!!!!!!!!!!! I even get comments when I HAVE to drive my wife's (don't judge me!!!) minivan (I'm so embarrased)..........So, call em' what you wnat ..........just love em.........

Rat

my thought exactly.

The expression rat was used by the old bike clubs back in the day when we would fall,sand rattlecan ,wire over ole wiring and run the back wheel adjusted all the way back for lack of a jon Deere chain.We used bycle parts,a pair of car coils,:(:(:(:cool:

Latest posts

Back