cheap fuel tank ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

38fordtruck

hey everyone im no where near ready to be putting in a fuel tank yet but im just looking into the future a bit here lol

well im just curious of what everyone is doing for some sort of tank Ive looked at fuel cell but they are rather pricey for me Ive been thinking about using a s-10 fuel tank because they are cheap and it would be hidden under the bed. i really don't want a beer keg tank in the bed because i think they are way over done and i don't want something taking up a bunch of space in the bed. i do have some old milk cans i could use but i want something a little bigger

so whats everyone using? pics would be great

thanks in advance Austin

I browsed Ebay (hundreds of piccies of tanks) until I saw a piccie of something that looked a suitable shape and size. It turned out to be a Landrover tank, best for my purpose, but there are all sorts of oddball shapes and sizes. I also got cheeky and e-mailed the seller to ask dimensions.

I then went out and bought a Landrover tank brand new for less than $100. :D

I planned to use two, one each side of the trunk.

83559ea8.jpg

Probably be hard to find now, but we used to use VW tanks for racing!
I used a beer keg on my truck, seen old army gas cans used, and many more things I wouldn't use.
Just make sure whatever you use make it safe!! If you have a local oval track you could go to some swap meets and find a good buy on a used fuel cell. These are a few ideas off the top of my head!

hey everyone im no where near ready to be putting in a fuel tank yet but im just looking into the future a bit here lol

well im just curious of what everyone is doing for some sort of tank Ive looked at fuel cell but they are rather pricey for me Ive been thinking about using a s-10 fuel tank because they are cheap and it would be hidden under the bed. i really don't want a beer keg tank in the bed because i think they are way over done and i don't want something taking up a bunch of space in the bed. i do have some old milk cans i could use but i want something a little bigger

so whats everyone using? pics would be great

thanks in advance Austin

I have to agree, I don't want a gas tank cluttering up the bed of my rpu because I want to hail stuff. If I didn't need the bed I would build a roadster or coupe. I have been dragging home lots of things to use abd wabt something to fit in the back of the frame rails. My closest possibility is an old ammo can which will fit, I just have to weld the lid on and plumb it.
Also with the tank in the bed on a roadster pickup, I worry that if I were ever in an accident I have all that gas right next to me.

I have to agree, I don't want a gas tank cluttering up the bed of my rpu because I want to hail stuff. If I didn't need the bed I would build a roadster or coupe. I have been dragging home lots of things to use abd wabt something to fit in the back of the frame rails. My closest possibility is an old ammo can which will fit, I just have to weld the lid on and plumb it.
Also with the tank in the bed on a roadster pickup, I worry that if I were ever in an accident I have all that gas right next to me.

mine is between the frame rails and under the wooden bed of my truck.

Latest posts

Back