dakota frame swaps

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin53

Im swapping my 53 dodge truck frame for a 89 dakota and using a slant 6 engine. Can someone give me some Dakota frame swap threads. I'm doing my first swap ever and need some examples. Like how high off the frame should I mount the cab and what gas tank should I use. Thanks

search

search for dakota frame swaps and a few are here and try the H A M B, just don't mention rat rods or they will flame you off the site.

Later :cool:

dakota frame swap

OK its been a while but I finally got my cab mounted and I'm in the process of mounting the slant 6 with a 3 speed tranny. The clutch and brake Assembly I have is from a 78 dodge step side. Could I use the master cylinder from the 78 dodge and would it have any affect on the Dakota brake Assembly or should I stick with the Dakota booster and master cylinder. I was thinking of using a ford truck gas tank. What do you guys think I'm new to this whole custom work. Thanks I'll upload some pictures when I get some

Attachments

• IMG_20140128_165242_418.jpg
    IMG_20140128_165242_418.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20140129_163628_082.jpg
    IMG_20140129_163628_082.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 54
I used a '93 Jeep Cherokee gas tank on nine, it fit real nice between the frame.

I would check the bore size on the Dakota master cylinder and compare that to the bore size on the 78 dodge. If they are the same then I'd think you'd be alright. If you can use the Dakota master I'd go that route at least you know it was designed to work with that braking system. Do you have disc/drum or drum/drum set up?

-Chris

dakota frame swap

Its a disc/drum setup. I've never messed around with disc brakes before. I'll probably go with the stock master to be on the safe side. Ill need to find someone who can help with wiring the /6 after I build the motor mounts.

I would check the bore size on the Dakota master cylinder and compare that to the bore size on the 78 dodge. If they are the same then I'd think you'd be alright. If you can use the Dakota master I'd go that route at least you know it was designed to work with that braking system. Do you have disc/drum or drum/drum set up?

-Chris

I have disc/drum could I just use the 78 master cylinder. I'm using the brake/clutch assembly from the 78. The Dakota master cylinder has a booster that takes up a lot of room would it work OK with the 78 or should I cut the and extend the rod on the Dakota master cylinder

Attachments

• IMG_20140223_154637_683.jpg
    IMG_20140223_154637_683.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20140223_154525_160.jpg
    IMG_20140223_154525_160.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 9
Hello Martin. It seems like disc brakes should have a power booster, you don't have to push the pads very far but you have to push them pretty hard. I was running a Volare front clip under my '55 Merc pick-up; discs, without power assist, [boy what a chore to stop], then I put a small booster under the floor with the master cylinder and fixed the problem. I didn't have to lengthen the rods on either my '55 or my '36 but I think it would work. One advantage to lengthening the rod would be to get the power booster back out of the way, because it get kind of busy right under you feet. You still have to fill the Master cylinder once in a while, so keep that in mind.
Keep on tinkering.

My booster and master cylinder will be on firewall would it be a little easier that way. Thanks for the help I'm trying to get it ready for rockabilly on the route this June.

Latest posts

Back