do ratrods need a new name?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taverncustom

Banned
it seams that when you say ratrod to somone they think of some crappy slaped together POS when i say ratrod i'm talking about a classic car built for strait line performance with out any bs. no nice paint jobs because paint and stickers dont make you go fast and no new cars because to be clasified as a rod it needs to be a classic. not some 85 s10 or bs like that. so *** am i now stuck in the same class as any ******* that rattle cans his car because my ratrod happens to be flat black? i sujest a new name for the classic cars formaly known as rat rods. how about just calling it a retro-rod?
just my 2CENTS.

Last edited by a moderator:
the name game

Anyone who thinks a rat rod is a slapped together POS isn't worth explaining the difference to, or clarifying your ride as a retro rod to. But, if it makes you sleep or feel better, by all means call it what you want.:D

To quote Shakespeare, "a rose [rat] by any other name would smell [be] as sweet [kool].:p

i have seen alot change with the guys that used to hate rat rods they are now building them themselves . rat rodding wasnt meant to **** off other guys that build painted cars but they really thought that was the only reason anybody built them. so in the the end i would stick with rat rod , i know i will even when somebody decides to try and change it

RAT RODS

Ive been around 55 years they earnd trere name , as did gasers drag sters lead sleds an so on the best part a bout a rat, it can be a bet of all of them but togeather and stell stand out as derernt that my 2 bets of rust:d:d

Well Sunday morning I was in the local bagel shop-kinda a yuppie hangout if you know what I mean - I had driven my ratrod . Just needed some road time to help get thru the rest of the winter. So this guy ,about mid 40"s walks in , comes right over too me and says that is the coolest looking hot rod I have ever seen . He proceeds to tell me that an open fendered truck is what hotrodding is all about . Didn't have the heart to tell him it was a ratrod , either way he had a smile on his face and so did I. We both had a good morning .

So this guy ,about mid 40's walks in , comes right over too me and says that is the coolest looking HOT ROD I have ever seen . He proceeds to tell me that an open fendered truck is what HOTRODDING is all about.

Exactly. They have been HOT RODS for a long time. Looks like he had it right...

Well Sunday morning I was in the local bagel shop-kinda a yuppie hangout if you know what I mean - I had driven my ratrod . Just needed some road time to help get thru the rest of the winter. So this guy ,about mid 40"s walks in , comes right over too me and says that is the coolest looking hot rod I have ever seen . He proceeds to tell me that an open fendered truck is what hotrodding is all about . Didn't have the heart to tell him it was a ratrod , either way he had a smile on his face and so did I. We both had a good morning .

He was right it's a Hot Rod!! A cool one too!

Mine's just a hotrod. When I daydreamed of it 30 years ago it was a hotrod then, never heard of a ratrod. But then came rat bikes in the 70s, nobody talked ratrods then but I did have a killer rat 34 VLD

This topic would make a great editorial, that same discussion took place in my living room just a few days ago by a few of us. Ol' Skool ... Rat Rod .. but you're correct about the "hairy eyebrow raised" when the word "Rat Rod" is mentioned.

Mine is one that is not easily classified, and I like that about it.
agrred
The first rule of rat rodding is: Don't worry about what others think.
agreed
Why not just forget lame magazine-invented buzz words and call it a HOT ROD?

did that at ruffrodders well lets say it wasnt liked
[/QUOTE]Seems to have worked for the last 70 years or so...[/QUOTE]
agreed
He was right it's a Hot Rod!! A cool one too!
agreed
as long as someone calls it a rod of some sort i dont care rat or hot just my 2c
agreed

the eyes have it:D

i heard a guy explaining what my car was to his wife, he explained it by calling it a "budget rod" thought that was a great way of explaining it

A Hot Rod is a Hot Rod is a Hot Rod ( budget, rat, trad, ). And the guys who
work on them and build them are Hotrodders. Names don't meen much. Build work on drive what you like. Have fun enjoy!

"do ratrods need a new name?"

Suddenly I realized the irony of asking this question on a forum called RAT RODS RULE... :confused::D:confused:

Latest posts

Back