Homemade tubing bender.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

We have a Protools tubing bender that we were not totally happy with, the plates that support the dies are half inch thick but bent so bad we couldn't get the locating pins back in. So my Son Dan ordered two new plates that are 5/8 thick and he totally redesigned the whole thing to operate vertically instead of horizontally.

He made a frame out of box and round tubing and this one will have no movement or flex at all. He just used it to bend a couple of pieces of 1.75 tubing for his roll cage and it worked like a charm. Here are some pictures:

He also added an air over hydraulic unit so we don't have to manually push a handle anymore, so much easier and precise.

Don

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I think we are going to video it working, he still has some tubing yet to bend for the Mustang, I'll post it if we do.

Don

Excellent adaption. Your son is good at designing and fabbing.

Yesterday I was using the JD2 bender I borrowed 5 years ago (he won't take it back). It is manual and bends in a horizontal plane. I have to bolt it to planks to keep it from rotating and the work wants to sag in the die.

Your set up is much better.

Latest posts

Back