WTH Rock Auto

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroadrolls

Last night I put a 500 dollar order together @ Rock auto for 3 or 4 different projects and when I got to the end of the payment page it denied me because of the ship to address. I got the following error code;
"We cannot ship to this address because it currently requires sales tax paid separately to state and city governments. We comply with state-administered taxes nationwide, but we do not have the capacity to file city tax returns in places where we have no physical presence"
Has anyone else run into this?

Several states have done this because they were losing tax revenue to online sellers. Some states even tried to charge individuals tax for their orders but I can't imagine that's cost effective! :eek:

Toad

I'm not from your area, but assuming you're in Colorado this could be your issue:

https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily-tax-report-state/colorados-unique-sales-tax-could-cut-off-consumers

It looks like there isn't a way around it at present and you'll likely have to buy your parts elsewhere. Seems like your WTH should probably be directed at your state or local government :p.

Thanks Snopro, now I understand. As an online retailer we'd been facing another issue earlier this year. For many years as we ship items to jurisdictions outside of ours we only had to collect tax for whatever jurisdiction we had in common with our customer. For the most part this was usually the 3.9% for the state. In some case we'd also collect tax for the County we're in if we had that in common with our customer too. Then this year Colorado changed it so you have to collect for whatever jurisdiction your customer received the items you shipped. Man, what a PITA! There are several hundred jurisdictions in this state. Filing a sales tax report and payment would now take about ten times longer than previously. Good News! recently we discovered that this only applies if your doing 100k in sales per year in the state. Whew! we're below that in Colorado.
It looks like the Government is working to close the loopholes of tax free online sales so it can continue to fund its stupidity.

Okla. has started doing this for Ebay,Amazon and others, takes a big chunk out of a bargain. :mad:

Yeah, the tax free ride is just about over. I blame the Congress for allowing this to happen, the net was supposed to be tax free, they just couldn’t keep their grubby meat beaters off of it.

We’ve supposedly been required to self report any internet purchases and then pay state tax on them for a few years now, nobody I know ever did. Now, you buy or sell on eBay, they automatically collect the tax and distribute it. Rock Auto automatically adds the tax, too. I figure all of them will have to sooner or later.

Off-road, you might have to make a friend in another state and get your stuff shipped to them, then they in turn ship it to you.

Latest posts

Back