36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a few test-drives, I can say that my new set of fibre wires were the culprit. My 1953 steel core wires are back on the truck and it fires on eight cylinders. It's been said in many coffee shops that points will burn out if you run twelve volts through them all of the time. So I rewired my resistor into the ignition wire, causing 8 to 9 volts to the points. With old points, 8 volts won't start this motor, so I had to get 12 volts momentarily to the points while the starter button was being pushed. If you get a starter solenoid for a Ford from 1956 to 1974 you will get a second small stud that becomes live 12 volts when the solenoid is activated. Run a wire from the second small post to the coil and the engine will start immediately. You will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Attachments

• IMG_2222.jpg
    IMG_2222.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2223.jpg
    IMG_2223.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 27
Wow, they have done got two cuts on the fields around here, and will get a third next month. Some of them may even make a 4 th cut, but it will be small if they do.

Now back to hot-rodding.
My little truck has been fighting with me a lot this summer. Now the radiator is leaking around the top tank. So off she comes.

Attachments

• IMG_2234.jpg
    IMG_2234.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2235.jpg
    IMG_2235.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 31
Sorry for your difficulties, Mac. :mad:

My father's wisdom... "You can pi$$ up a rope with all your might, but you're still at the soggy end."

Dr. Crank, we still have two radiator shops in Grande Prairie, maybe because this is a boom town on the frontier.
Anyhow, I got the rad fixed up but the extension I built on the filler neck [about 3 1/2" long] took a beating and now leaks a wee bit. [see first pic]
I put the truck back together and took it to A&W cruise night last night. This was a test drive where I found the neck leak.

Attachments

• IMG_2234.jpg
    IMG_2234.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2257.jpg
    IMG_2257.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 30
I had noticed a broken spring steel clip that keeps the rotor tightly oriented on the distributer shaft of the '51 flathead motor now in my '36. It is different that the '53's that I have, so I pulled out an old '53 dizzy and rebuilt it. [pic one]

It turns out that you can't put a '53 flathead distributer in a '51 engine, no matter how much you hammer on it. Now I have to rebuild a '51 distributer and come up with the little spring steel clip.

Attachments

• IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 11
We lost the clip on a our 8n tractor, bought a new rotor and it came with it. Don’t know if it comes with all new ones or not.

Latest posts

Back