Cold cut chop saws

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken47int

I've been thinking about buying one. I've been reading all kinds of reviews on them. They seem kinda hit or miss. The blades are expensive, and some people have issues with them being damaged easily. My guess is it's the user but not sure. My dewalt chop saw works and does the job but it gets to be messy and a lot of cleaning up the metal before I can weld with it. I just want something that can cut clean angles, and can handle larger material (2x3 and 2x4) as well. I've considered a bandsaw also but still undecided. Just looking for opinions and what others have used

Unless you get a pretty good one with coolant flow, in my mind it's not needed. I've got bandsaws, reciprocating saws, hacksaws, acetylene torches and angle grinders and I'll mostly grab the angle grinder with cut off discs every time.

I have most of those choices, also. No cooled chop. The band saw is my go-to for most cuts that call for any precision. Its a little slower, but spot on every time. No clean-up needed. There are even tricks for cutting several cuts at a time in some cases. I had a couple jobs where I needed to speed up making a hundred widgets just so I didn't go crazy.

Proper tool for the proper job. It's still a matter of preference.

The cut off disks are the way I have been doing most of my stuff. I had a big project over the weekend. I cut all my angles with a hand held cut off disk. It took forever! That's when I considered looking into a different saw besides my chop saw. Most of the cold cut saws are about $500, and the bandsaws are a lil more or way more. Basically I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth it or just keep at it like I have been.

Latest posts

Back