I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the encouragement and well-wishes. Life has changed. I have to use devices or recruit younger strong friends to do the heavy lifting.

Yes Dr. C, that is the trans pan down low. Meets NHRA's 3" clearance though.

Don't give up on the 2x2 plenum with the 1.08 2100 carbs, I think it is a small problem that we will work out. FTF uses two smaller 1.02 2100 0n his street altered and it works fine.

Owner / toners are hard to find, keep up the good work. With the interior changes you will be back in the seat next season. :D with less weight looking for that first 10.99 or better.:cool:

I haven't given up on the home made intake Tom. It's always on my mind, trying to figure out why it won't work.
Today Dave the driver came over and we took the low stall converter out of her. Went to put the high stall unit (the green one) but the pump drive sleeve is messed up (by me at an earlier time) and I'll have to have a new sleeve welded on . So it will sit all apart for a while.

Attachments

• misc 001.jpg
    misc 001.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 56
The thing I see with the intake is, it has too much volume in the plenum.
The fuel flow looses it's velocity between the base of the carbs and runners into the head causing the fuel to de-atomize before entering the runners.

Well that's a fine little mess, can you have the sleeve welded locally or will you have to send it back to the converter company?

I sent an email tonight for some stuff.

During the 9 months of winter down time I'm going to spruce up the dragster a bit. Took the header out for coating. Got it back yesterday and it looks good. I took the converter with the bunged up pump drive sleeve (called a neck I believe) in to Tranny Tim. He's sending it off to Iowa for fixin'.
You might be on to something OI. The plenum is much larger than the one I built for my slant six. It should be a little larger because the engine is 300 vs 225. I might try partially filling the plenum and try it. For the slant six manifold I used a formula in Leo Santucci's book on building Chevy 6's. The Ford one I had expert advice by a highly successful Ford 6 racer. But I have to try something.

Attachments

• header 001.jpg
    header 001.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 36
Well Bob, nice to hear that the converter sleeve can be repaired, that converter will make a big improvement to your leave & 60' time witch will lower your overall ET number.

I think the idea of unbolting the plenum top plate and dropping in some wood blocks to reduce the overall plenum to 150 - 160 cu in for a test start up is a easy thing to do.

The coated headers look real nice. Will the EFI tubes and the plenum be coated the same when it is ready to run? The old dragster will be looking sharp & pulling hard this spring.

The thing I see with the intake is, it has too much volume in the plenum.
The fuel flow looses it's velocity between the base of the carbs and runners into the head causing the fuel to de-atomize before entering the runners.

I think the idea of unbolting the plenum top plate and dropping in some wood blocks to reduce the overall plenum to 150 - 160 cu in for a test start up is a easy thing to do.

I don't want to beat up on you any further about the manifold, but I think the guys may be onto something with the large plenum volume, it looks big block size to me. I know you have the top plate done but have you considered turning the carbs 90 degrees so the throttle bores are in line with the intake runners? New throttle linkage needed tho.. Distribution may be improved with a straighter shot to the runners and it would allow further narrowing of the plenum to test the theory of less is more.

zz, That manifold was made by The French Town Flier. He's the person that advised me to build mine the way it is. I did not hear from him directly. Old28 (Tom) here on UDS stays in contact with him and relays all his expertise to me. The unit you see is for a street application. He suggested mounting the carbs in the traditional orientation so the float bowls don't spill over under hard acceleration. Hopefully the dragster will accelerate hard eventually. He also spec'd the plenum volume. The carbs are so simple I can't see how I could have messed them up when rebuilding.
Sometime this winter, when I get the converter back and reassemble the car I'll put the Clifford 4 barrel manifold on and adapt it for one two barrel. I can test both two barrel carbs, one at a time and see if they are or are not the problem.
If the carbs are okay I'll try a smaller plenum by stuffing something in there to take up some of the volume.
Thank you , and others for your interest and suggestions. We'll get it figured out eventually.

Last edited:
OK guys, I am Bob's friend old28 and I want to add a little more to what bob said. Just like bob I had a stroke a few years ago that affected how I can handle figures, very depressing for a guy that drag raced (Front Motor Dragsters for over 45+ years. I have talked to FTF about Ford 300 inline 6 motors for the past few years. He has been drag racing two altered roadsters with 300 inline 6 motor, both with plenum intakes, one with dual 2100 carbs and the other with three 2100. In trying to get bob's setup to work I went over the plenum problem with him again.

For a race motor (inline 6 300") he recommends 60% of the motor cu in or about 180 cu in plenum volume with a two or three 2100 carb setup. When a few of you suggested 150-160 you were right in the park. After reviewing the past information it was clear to me that I missed the 60% figure and that is why bob's plenum is 294 cu in. [S

I think bob has a good plan for testing the carbs and wood blocks in the plenum will work fine for a volume reduction test. I am with bob, we will get it figured out and this plenum / dual 2100 carb setup will help get the dragster into the high 10's.[dr

Sorry for the rant but it's all good.:(

Obviously you fellas are on the right track, I thought when I came across that manifold pic that it was amazingly similar, now I know why. [cl I'm sure you'll get it sorted - must be tougher to do testing and changes when you can only do it 1/4 mile at a time, combined with the pressure, excitement and time constraints of running at the drags! Anytime I took one of my cars to the track (mid 1970's), my biggest enemy was adrenaline and nerves at the tree, fear of blowing the 2-3 shift and scattering a Muncie 4 spd, etc., and not being able to drive it home (and to work on Monday!) Always scheming on mods to do before the next weekend and gain a tenth. Wouldn't have missed it for the world..

Well lets hope so as I am on a quest to help get the Bullet into the high 10's, this is the main reason bob dropped the Ford 300" into the dragster. That new higher stall converter along with the dual carb Plenum will help a bunch. After years of drag racing you will try a change, test it, modify it and start all over in the quest for speed.

As for cutting good lights on the tree you would have to talk to my wife Dixie, my lights are closer to my age of 73, her's have 0 or double 00. She ran our NE-1 blowen Alcohol Front Motor dragster for 5 years. Bob has seen the picture I have attached. Taken at top end Bakersfield, CA.

Attachments

• Juice Bucket II Bakersfield #1.JPG
    Juice Bucket II Bakersfield #1.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 22
Much love and respect for you and Dixie, Tom. However, I didn't take your advice. Took the top off the manifold and couldn't stop myself from modifying it. I smallened it (is that a word?) and put some internal sheet metal pieces in it to reduce the volume. Got the perimeter mounting flanges done. Now have to cut the top plate down. Almost out of gas so it is only tacked together. Plenum is now about 140 cu. in. and can be increased by 25 cu. in. by adding a 1/4" spacer all around.

Attachments

• Intake and Tank 001.jpg
    Intake and Tank 001.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Intake and Tank 002.jpg
    Intake and Tank 002.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back