Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 11-24-2010, 06:39 PM

Default 1946 Chevy Bobber Truck Chop Build

I got the urge like alot of others to purchase my own early truck cab after I started to see more and more Rat Rods out there that appealed to me. I finally found this 46' chevy cab this Summer with a title and figured I would use alot of what i had at home for the the rest. Here's what I started with. The cab isn't too bad and the doors had most of the hardware etc.

My plan was to use a extra AMC 401 engine and auto tranny I had laying arround. (plans change...)
I want it to be fairly low and haven't decided yet on the suicide or not front susp. I have learned alot from others build threads and will need some help as I go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rat Rod 001.jpg (143.8 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Rat Rod 006.jpg (143.0 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg Rat Rod 007.jpg (123.8 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg Rat Rod 008.jpg (120.6 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Rat Rod 012.jpg (79.4 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Rat Rod 018.jpg (78.0 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg Rat Rod 021.jpg (66.1 KB, 169 views)
Old 11-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I know you are toying with the idea of useing that independant front suspension sitting on your trailer , PLEASE don't ! That cab has so much potential to be a cool old rod , Find you a good straight axle and give it the look it deserves . You won't be sorry !!

Current build link '36 Dodge Truck
RRR built link '30 MODEL A
Old 11-24-2010, 06:50 PM

I got a 1953 Chevy car frame and front suspension with it. The guy I got it from was just going to use it as is, but it would be too high and need to be cut up too much for my taste, so after talking with a few I'm going to go with 2 x 4 - 3/16" steel and make it from scratch. I advertised the frame lacally on craigs list, but no takers. Then checked the Speedway catalog and saw they made an straight front axle for these so I hope I can use the brakes and spindles and get some good out of it before it goes to the scrap yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rat Rod 004.jpg (131.0 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Rat Rod 009.jpg (134.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg Rat Rod 010.jpg (123.7 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Rat Rod 011.jpg (117.8 KB, 148 views)
Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
I know you are toying with the idea of useing that independant front suspension sitting on your trailer , PLEASE don't ! That cab has so much potential to be a cool old rod , Find you a good straight axle and give it the look it deserves . You won't be sorry !!
I don't have any plans of going independant front suspension at all and agree with your thoughts. I just was thinking I could mount a 5-6" dropped axle in front of the engine but behind the grill. Likely will need to Z the frame some while I'm at it. My thoughts were a new unpainted catalog tube axle with the drop when I get that far. Lots to do before then though...
Old 11-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

nice looking cab i'm with gregster put a straight axle under it you want regret it
Old 11-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I don't know how old you are or what shape your body is in or if you plan on driving your ride long distances . Have you ever riden in a rod with a straight front axle ? If not you might consider a ride in one before you make up your mind . If you are starting from scratch , a complete straight axle set up will not be much cheaper than a IFS kit . If mounted on the frame in the correct place -out front with the center of the axle in line with the radiator/grill - an IFS can look good and give a much better ride .
Old 11-24-2010, 07:15 PM

Here's a couple weeks ago after I spent days getting all the old clutch head screws off it where needed and also the doors etc. I saw this year truck in a mag with a 4" chop and liked the stance. I'm a fairly big guy and wanted to use the windshield crank out so trying to keep the windshield frame, so only went with a 3 1/2" chop. I taped off 4" at the "A" pillar with with my level turned out to be right on 3 1/2" in height. Taped off 3 1/2" at "B" pillar, but only about 3 1/4" all the way around to leave metal for an overlap.

Well...I was trying to load some more pictures, but got a error message now so will try again later.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM-LDS-2 View Post
I don't know how old you are or what shape your body is in or if you plan on driving your ride long distances . Have you ever riden in a rod with a straight front axle ? If not you might consider a ride in one before you make up your mind . If you are starting from scratch , a complete straight axle set up will not be much cheaper than a IFS kit . If mounted on the frame in the correct place -out front with the center of the axle in line with the radiator/grill - an IFS can look good and give a much better ride .
i drive my truck 40 mile round trip to work almost everyday. i've drove it to shows that were over 250 mile round trip. i have a straight axle. it rides and drives great guess it depends on how you set it up.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrodz View Post
i drive my truck 40 mile round trip to work almost everyday. i've drove it to shows that were over 250 mile round trip. i have a straight axle. it rides and drives great guess it depends on how you set it up.
I have a I beam set up ,been driving it for 4 years have driven it over 399 miles round trip , If the ride from a straight axle could be made better by changing the set up IFS would never have been invented . When some one asks me "how does it ride " i say " like a 32 Ford " . I learned to drive on a 31 Ford , believe me the quality of the ride was not one of their strong points .
Old 11-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Brother Rat

Keep workin on those pics!

Ah, the age old dilemma - cool or comfort?