Borg Warner 4 Speed nightmare

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Iron

OK, just had a sickening experience today :(
I bought this Borg Warner 4 speed tranny a couple months ago for a customers 62 Belair.
I finally got around to installing it today. Went to put the drive shaft in and low N behold it won't fit [S
The output shaft on Borg Warner T10 (not Super T10), Muncie, Saginaw 3 and 4 speed and the 350 turbo etc use a 27 spline output shaft and all the yokes are interchangeable.
Seems GM had a brain fart and used a tranny that was built for a year to year and a half then changed it.
This tranny has an output shaft with a spline count of, get this 23 spline with an OD the same as the above trannies :confused:
Well it looks like I own a morphodite that is nothing more than a $700 conversation piece.
The yoke for this piece O crap is not available anywhere :mad:
I'm posting this so that hopefully I can keep a forum member from being out $$$$ like me.

Yeah wierd
t-10 is supposed to have a turbo 400 output shaft not interchangeable with muncie and saginaw
i'm probably thinking super t-10 cuz I had 2nd gen firebirds for reference

23 spline is ford t-10

from a ford forum " Ford had two versions of the T10, the early model, pre 64 and the 64-65 T10. The pre 64 Ford T10 will have the weaker 23 spline output shaft, the 64-65 Ford T10 will have the stronger 28 spline output shaft. This is about all I know about them other than I put a 65 cast iron case T10 out of a Fairlane in my 66 Mercury Comet. As Woodz said Ford quit using them in 65 and went to the much stronger toploader tranny"

you did over pay lol it's probably a $250-$400 tranny like saginaw
Check your input shaft and front retainer.
It might be an all ford weener t10 or someone might have mixed a GM input and bearing retainer with a ford output to put a gm engine in a ford

You just missed out...
There was a GM variant 833 Chrysler overdrive 4 speed on CL in Omaha for $800. it's snatched up now.
there's a corvette doug nash tranny on CL in Omaha and a guy with about a dozen rebuilt muncies.

i may be wrong on this but i think the amc t-10 uses a 23, it seems like i used gm u-joints too.

Latest posts

Back