Help with cold start

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

I bought a little s10 with a way overbuilt 383 just to play around in until i find whatever project im looking for. Its a nice, clean little truck and stupid fast. I kinda like it with the exception of the loud gear drives, extremely hard brake pedal and a ridiculous cam for the street. Ive got one problem with it, cold start. Its got a 750 edelbrock with a manual choke and a jegs electric fuel pump. I could jump in the 53, pump her twice, and she was ready to go. This one, I've got to choke it to death and pump the crap out of it to start when its 70 degrees. Then, even with playing with the choke after it starts, i have to feather the gas for about 5 minutes for it will idle. I went 1 heat range hotter on the plug and helped a little. The msd box quit on him and he never replaced it. Im not familiar with the electronic mumbo jumbo stuff, but would putting on another one help with the cold start?

I suspect your carb is operating beyond the idle circuit.

If the throttle is opened too much (in an effort to achieve idle speed) you're "running" on the main circuit.

Does your ignition have vacuum advance? Where is it connected? If it's above the throttle plates, move it below for full manifold vacuum. This may allow you to back off the idle speed and get the throttle plates back near the idle transfer slots where they belong.

Some homework below. Hope this helps.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/dl/carb-owners-manual.pdf

Latest posts

Back