GM 12 bolt or Crysler 9.25"?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Alright guys. About to jump feet first back into the build again after a long break.
I picked up a 3.9L cummins 4BT diesel I'll be using. Question is which rear end should I use?
The chassis currently has the stock 68 Chevy c10 axle which is a 12 bolt. I do have a donor axle from another project which is from a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd truck which is a Crysler 9.25".

Which of these would be better suited for the cummins?
Cummins numbers are as follows
Stock HP-105
Stock TQ-265

I would like to juice up the cummins a bit to at least 300hp and presumable around 500 ft/lbs, but this is just a best guess.
I'm looking for the axle that would be easiest to rebuild, and/or has a strong aftermarket for gearing and other parts.
I know I can get a LSD type setup for the Crysler, think it's called Tru Lock or something like that. Not sure if that option (LSD/Posi/whatever) is available for the Chevy.

Don't sweat the rear end widths as I'll be widening the bed to clear whatever goes under it.

Last edited:
The 12 bolt will handle the added power and much much more... well supported in the aftermarket.

The Chrysler, I have no idea. [S

The 12 bolt will handle the added power and much much more... well supported in the aftermarket.

The Chrysler, I have no idea. [S

I started researching hard after I posted this (suppose I should have looked prior) and found the 12 bolt is actually a pretty solid axle. Even found an article comparing this axle to the ford 9", and while there are major differences, as far as performance goes, the 12 bolt holds its own fairly strongly.
Impressive.
Perhaps I'll save myself the additional work and leave it alone.

Latest posts

Back