2 Motors?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charley, back in the mid to late 80's I had a Mother Earth News magazine where a guy had a small truck and mounted a large electric motor in the bed with I think a belt going down to the drive shaft. He had a small diesel generator to power it....I think. He could also run off the front engine. I kept that magazine for years but could not find it last year, think it got moved to the attic. Also, I looked on the Internet but could not find the same article. It was a really cool set up. Maybe someone here has it.

I would love to see that article but I'm kinda hell bent on putting power from each motor through the transmission. I think I would get more from my electric motor setup that way.

I liked the old "Mother Earth" rag cause they were all about the "Green" great articles.[cl[dr

The new "Mother Earth" is all about the "$$$$$ Green" mostly advertisements:(

I parked near this guy at a show in DEC . A realy kool car guy . He drove it to the turkey run .

Attachments

• jalopy showndown 002.JPG
    jalopy showndown 002.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 37
  • jalopy showndown 003.JPG
    jalopy showndown 003.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 37
That is a GMC 702 "Twin-Six". I have one in a '50 GMC COE that I've working on for a couple of years now. It uses a one-piece block, crankshaft, camshaft, but 4 cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, and 2 intakes, carbs. A lot of people think it is actually two engines.

I parked near this guy at a show in DEC . A realy kool car guy . He drove it to the turkey run .

Attachments

• P1260001.JPG
    P1260001.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 19
  • P2150001.jpg
    P2150001.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 14
Came up with a possible solution to running two motors through my transmission independently

A splined collar that slips over the trany spline that has a spline on it to go to the motor. The splined collar would be a slip joint that would be connected to a lever that would allow it to engage/disengage from the gas motor.

I would probably have to build a bell housing spacer to allow for the added length.

I could drive the trany/DC motor with a belt drive like on a Harley. The DC motor could slide with the coupler too if need be.

Heer's a simple drawing
Disengaging spline.JPG

what about using a 4x4,electric on the front axle gas on the rear.put the electric motor under the cab it wont need a clutch just on or off switch variable speed ,when the rear is driving it will be turning the front motor causing it to charge the batteries also when you are going down hill it would be charging

Charley, kind of what's been said already. Here's a drawing. It's from a WW2 U-Boat propulsion unit. If you put a coupling between the tranny and rear end, you could use it as a welder also. Or a power plant in an emergency.

Attachments

• ScreenShot00969.jpg
    ScreenShot00969.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 6
Came up with a possible solution to running two motors through my transmission independently

A splined collar that slips over the trany spline that has a spline on it....

It is called a dog clutch, common engineering practise, but you need both shafts going identical speeds to engage it. Or both stopped.

what about using a 4x4,electric on the front axle gas on the rear.put the electric motor under the cab it wont need a clutch just on or off switch variable speed ,when the rear is driving it will be turning the front motor causing it to charge the batteries also when you are going down hill it would be charging

I'm really set on running both motors through my tranny, I don't want a front wheel drive for many reasons main one being I want to keep the front axle I have

Junker39, You have a link to that drawing? I can't read most of it. But it still eliminates the trany and I end up with a direct drive with no gear ratio changes

King Herald, Thanks for reminding me of the proper name, I had forgotten. As far as engaging/disengaging I would be ok with doing it from a dead stop.

I'm sure there are some other difficulties I will face such as starter/flywheel so there's a ton more thinking and planning before I ever cut a part.

I may even have to go direct drive :mad::(

i am thinking the electric motor doesnt need to conect to the transmision i think it would conect straight to the axle with a variable speed control,if that is correct you could conect it at the tail shaft just put the transmision in neutral to drive on the electric

Gotta do some more research I guess, but I seen where a guy "Gadget" on some green show put an electric motor in a 68/69 Camaro for a Red Hot Chile Peppers band member, just removed the motor and bolted the DC motor to the tranny. I would think I could get more battery efficiency that way.

Charley, back in the mid to late 80's I had a Mother Earth News magazine where a guy had a small truck and mounted a large electric motor in the bed with I think a belt going down to the drive shaft. He had a small diesel generator to power it....I think. He could also run off the front engine. I kept that magazine for years but could not find it last year, think it got moved to the attic. Also, I looked on the Internet but could not find the same article. It was a really cool set up. Maybe someone here has it.

I remember that same article!! The trucks engine,and transmission didnt change, he used a funny car cog belt from the electric motor to the U-joint on transmission and used the generator to run the motor. The truck engine and trans was a "backup". If I remember correct it was a 6hp DC motor and he got some nutso mileage (100 mpg or???)

Gotta do some more research I guess, but I seen where a guy "Gadget" on some green show put an electric motor in a 68/69 Camaro for a Red Hot Chile Peppers band member, just removed the motor and bolted the DC motor to the tranny. I would think I could get more battery efficiency that way.
i seen that done on some other green show these guys used a mazda truck ,pulled the gas motor bolted an electric motor to the trany than filled the rest of the engine compartment with a bank of car batteries,they charged it with a windmill,something to concider is most transmisions in high gear have a ratio of 1 to 1 ,i must say that i know nothing about electric cars i am just thinking out loud with ideas[S

Charley, I did a Google search for U-boat propulsion and found that drawing. Didn't bookmark it.
You could put the clutch/tranny on the back of the electric motor. You'd still have gear changes or throw the tranny in neutral, engage the coupling to the gas engine and have a welder/generator.

How about a transfer case from a 4x4? Just connect the electric motor to the front axle output. You'd have engine-only when in 2wd mode, engine-and-motor when in 4wd mode, and electric motor-only when in 4wd mode with the transmission in neutral. Just a thought.[S

How about a transfer case from a 4x4? Just connect the electric motor to the front axle output. You'd have engine-only when in 2wd mode, engine-and-motor when in 4wd mode, and electric motor-only when in 4wd mode with the transmission in neutral. Just a thought.[S

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread, and I still don't want to go that route

Worlds fastest Electric Drag car... White Zombie

Owner: John 'Plasma boy' Wayland
Email: [email protected]
Base Vehicle: 1972 Datsun 1200 coupe
Motor: 'Siamese 9' Dual armature series-wound. What used to be two separate 9 inch electric motors, is now one custom built motor. Thanks to 'Hi Torque Electric'.
Drivetrain: Direct drive (no transmission, clutch, or flywheel). Electric reverse. Custom aluminum driveline by 'Inland Empire Drivelines', 'Dutchman Motorsports' heavy duty 'Street Strip' rear setup with Dutchman 31 spline racing axles, Aluminum 'Strange' Ford nine inch differential with Detroit Locker 'Strange' ring and pinion @ 3:50 ratio, CalTracs traction bars. Thanks to Dutchman Motorsports, Inland Empire Drivelines, and Calvert Racing for their support.
Controller: 2000 amp Zilla by 'Cafe Electric'. Thanks to Cafe Electric for their support.
Batteries: 192 Dow Kokam lithium polymer cells contained in 12, 29.6V clear Lexan modules. Battery pack at 355V, capable of 2,400 amps discharges, and stores 22.7 kWh of energy. Thanks to Dow Kokam, ChemWest, and Manazanita Micro for their support.
System Voltage: 355 Volts
Charger: Manzanita Micro PFC 50, Rudman Regulators. At PIR (Portland International Raceway) where the Zombie usually does its thing, we get to plug into the 240V mains and charge air polution-free as the juice comes from Oregon's mighty Columbia River and its massive hydroelectric system. Away from home at other drag tracks where clean AC line power may not be available, a gasoline fueled 18 hp 2 cylinder Subaru generator makes 10 KW to feed the PFC50 and keep White Zombie's pack charged up. Thanks to Manzanita Micro for their support.
Heater: none (The tires get pretty hot and smoke a lot!)
12V System: Thunder Sky 13.4V, 40 ah lithium battery.
Instrumentation: a) EVision battery computer. Thanks to Metric Mind for their support.
b) 1000 amp E-meter
Top Speed: 129 mph with 3:50 gear set & rpm rev limit dialed in at 6600
Range: 90 miles urban, 110-120 miles highway
Seating Capacity: Driver and one passenger...rubber underpants required!
Curb Weight: 2348 lbs.
Tires: Rear....BF Goodrich DOT approved, 225/50/15 'G Force T/A Drag Radials' on American Racing 'Torque Thrust D' 15 X 8 two piece alloys custom sized for the Zombie.
Front...Continental 'EcoContact' LRR 145/65/15 on American Racing 'Torque Thrust D' 15 X 4 two piece alloys alloys
Additional Features: Electric line lock, 4/0 wiring, 3000 amp Kilovac Bubba main contactor, ~400 horsepower w/ 1250 ft. lbs. torque Custom metal fab work by Marko Mongillo. Thanks to Northwest handling Systems for the use of their forklift service truck as our trackside base support vehicle.

The following was written in 2006. After reading it, check out how close this predicted performance came to the below listed 'Best Lead Acid ET' results from the 2007 racing season:

An all new battery pack is being readied for the 2007 racing season based on 60, 16 ahr Hawker Genesis batteries. This 360V pack will be 40% more powerful than the previous 360V pack, and will be capable of making 450 hp! The new pack will be 75 lbs. heavier, but the battery compartments will be far lighter, and other weight reducing mods should keep the car's curb weight close to the same. We expect ETs of 11.8 @ 110 mph, but with continued work, it's possible to see mid 11s for '07!

Best lead acid powered ET 11.882 @ 109.58 mph!
(in the standing start NHRA timed 1/4 mile, per NEDRA)
0-60 in ~ 3.5 seconds!

Best lithium ion powered ET 10.258 @ 123.79 mph!
World's Quickest
'Street Legal Electric Car'
(in the standing start NHRA timed 1/4 mile, per NEDRA)
1.58 sec. 60 ft. time, 0-60 in ~ 1.8 seconds, 1/8 mile ET 6.443 @ 108.63 mph!

Highest 1/4 mile trap speed, 126.01 mph

Highest 1/8 mile trap speed, 109.28 mph

Latest posts

Back