holley 2300 questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spdcrazy

my daily has a hesitation issue. almost like a misfire at running speed.

holley 2300 2bbl on factory 318 with mild cam. (might be rv/truck cam from previous owner)

i thought i had to much play in the dizzy shaft and was wanting ele to i picked up a orange box mopar kit from summit. but i still have the hesitation.

it idles great cold or hot. but when hot, it idels higher than cold. by prob 300rpm's. (no tach, yet)

i have set timing,
gapped plugs at .035. (old plugs were at .025 with points dizzy?)
all cylinders are firing, and runs well other than the miss/hesitation.

there was some exhaust leaks, i believe i have them all fixed so that shouldn't be an issue.

only things i can think, is slop in the timing chain, or supposedly there was a problem with the heads on some 318la's of the 1968 variation that made valve seats go bad after 25-30k miles.

any thoughts on my issue?

are you describing a bog in acceleration on tip in of the throttle?

could be as simple as there is play in the accelerator pump arm.

but the high idle hot issue sounds more like a vacuum leak.

after running engine to warm up, try spaying some carb cleaner around potential leak areas on manifold like, throttle shafts and base gasket of carb, along the edge of the intake at the head surface, and on any vacuum hoses.

if the rpm goes up at any time you spray carb cleaner on a spot, you have located a vacuum leak.

I hope this makes sense to you.

are you describing a bog in acceleration on tip in of the throttle?

could be as simple as there is play in the accelerator pump arm.

but the high idle hot issue sounds more like a vacuum leak.

after running engine to warm up, try spaying some carb cleaner around potential leak areas on manifold like, throttle shafts and base gasket of carb, along the edge of the intake at the head surface, and on any vacuum hoses.

if the rpm goes up at any time you spray carb cleaner on a spot, you have located a vacuum leak.

I hope this makes sense to you.

makes very good sense. i hate to post a novel at the beginning, but i guess i should have put in more.

i checked for leaks with cleaner while hot and found none. and the hesitation is almost a miss, hard to describe. but its not on accel. but while cruising. idles great. then in gear or not rev it up a bit and i hear and feel it.

bought a carb rebuild, so i'll work on that tomorrow, if its not it, its needed anyways.

doesn't sound like a carb thing.

check for carbon tracks inside distributor cap and for deteriorated wires, or slightly fouled plugs.

you are describing a load misfire the way it sounds.

if you had spark plug wires off lately, check to see if wire 5 and wire 7 are mixed up, this will make engine run rough under load but idle fair with no load.

load misfire sounds about as accurate as i've come up with.

dizzy was clean when i got the truck. put on a new cap and rotor i bought for my 440 and haven't used (shouldn't be the problem right)

new dizzy has same problem. and clean as well.

i'll check 5 and 7, tho i think i checked it already. plugs were all evenish and brown, gap was set at .025 tho. now i have them at .035 like recommended by mopar performance.

i have a factory coil with the orange box ele dizzy. could it be i need a blaster or something like most run?

When you do the carb kit, make sure you get the float set right. If the level is a bit low, it could give you the symptoms you're describing. At low carb air speeds, the flow is just not enough to pick all of the fuel up the extra distance. It doesn't take much being low to mess it up. Just a thought. Good luck.

thanks junker, i'll make sure to get it set right, might just set it before tearing the carb apart. the 2bbl isn't staying on for long, so id hate to put a bunch of time into it.

ronny, from my understanding the power valve would cause a hesitation off idle only? i'm still still skeptical about it tho.

i'm new to carbs so i'm learning as i go, its not rocket surgery but it aint like cooking ramen either.

ok float level is good. haven't taken the carb apart yet. i need it running even if its hesitating for the moment.

i'm off work in 45 min and i have the next four days off. to bad i'll be in anc for a firefighter convention, then back to work for three days.

Some basic testing with a vacuum gage is in order, that and a cylinder leakdown test will tell you the internal condition of the engine before you start chasing things around.

Is it possible that the damper has spun

and the timing is too high....would cause an issue like you are discribing...kind of an intermittent miss at steady speed...just a thought....could be weak coil or bad wires but I would think you'd get more of a problem under harder load or acceleration rather than at cruise.....

Latest posts

Back