TPI (Tuned Port Injection) Anyone?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christcrusader13

Zip-Tie Mechanic
I've got a TPI from a caprice and I'm thining about putting it in my 40 Chevy.... I have CPU...etc... I was looking at specs and it seems these only put out 175HP.... which I was like, that's kinda weak, but I remember the 87 corvette I had that was TPI and it was pretty darn quick, so my questions:

Anyone out there have a TPI motor they are running?
Any ideas on boosting power? (I'm guessing the computer is about it i.e tuning)

I know it's probably plenty to make the car get up and go, I'm just looking for a cruiser... but if I have a rice burner approach me, I'd like to be able to shock him :)

My 86 Vette has it. It stayed in the shop for 5 1/2 months this year because sometimes it would crank, sometimes it wouldn't. Finally tracked it down to the anti theft system screwing up part of the time. I was about ready to junk it and go with a 4 bbl. If you do go that route, get a computer without the anti theft on it.

As far as tuning, you can get custom programs for the computer, as well as larger injectors. They will support more than 175 HP, you just need to know how to tune them. I'm no expert on them, but here are plenty of them out there, you just have to find them.....

Oh, you can add HP in many ways. My Vette engine is bored .040, factory has factory aluminum heads, a roller cam and full roller rockers. It will be getting a new set of injectors from www.southbayfuelinjectors.com this fall.

The 305 and the 350 have different knock sensors and injectors too.
I'm running a 90 Trans Am 305 tune port in my 66 Chevy pickup and love it. around 20 mpg and runs great.
Stand alone wire harness from Larry's Electric and he also reprograms the computer prom for 50 bucks if you buy his harness.

Latest posts

Back