Cooling

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBeNormal

I have purchased a model a style radiator for a sbc setup and had planned on a normal overflow setup but this has a threaded area where a pop off valve goes on the lower left side of the top tank. [S

Can anyone tell me how this works and what I need to get?

If it's an 1/8th or 1/4 pipe thread hole, I would hazzard a guess that it's a port for a low fluid level sender just from the location you describe.

No it is some kind of pressure release because the cap is sealed. It's called a pop off I just can't find any info on it to order one.

I'm guessing it would work like an overflow/pressure release[S

Pardon the brightness. I had to use my kids doodle pad. I don't have one of my own:rolleyes:

Here is my crude artwork.

Number 1 is the fill neck
Number 2 is the threaded hole where the mysterious and elusive pop off valve goes.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 24
Oh, yeah, it is crystal clear now from that drawing ! :rolleyes: (don't give up your day job, David):D:D I can't see an overflow being in that low location, they are usually at the highest point in the radiator.

Who made that radiator ?

Don

Pop off valve sure sounds unusual to me. My guess is it's an option to put a thermistor to trigger an electric fan. But that's just my guess.

Is it a stock replacement model a radiator?

Most hot rod Model A radiators have just a threaded adapter on the top (without a cut out into the tank) so that you can attach your pretty rad cap, and have a pressure cap elsewhere on the top tank. You could have a local rad shop put a pressure cap in off the back of the top tank to alleviate your issues.

Latest posts

Back