2 Motors?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

How could I use 2 motors side by side that run one at a time off of the same tranny? The trans. is a 3 speed manual. Don't want to spill the beans yet on what I'm thinking of doing as it may be a first. It may also be next to impossible.

If impossible to do with a regular tranny how bout a transfer case?

Its been done before....in just about every configuration you can think of....Theres several tractor pullers that run 4 motors, 2 sets, side by side....its a monster to time, and keep everything sync'ed and running without tearing things up. Yup, (4) 2800 horse blown Hemi's....

Theres several streetcars that have 2-I6's side by side....its a strange setup. Cool though....It can be done, it isn't crazy, and if ya dream it, build it!!![P[;)

I've seen the Double Trouble cool car. Guess I'm gonna have to be more specific as to what I want to do.

I'm big into alternative energy and since my truck has a slant 6 there's plenty of room in there for a good size DC motor, I would like to make it run off of gas or electric and still utilize the transmission.

Why couldn't use a clutch system like an old tractor. A lever puts it in gear or out?

A little more detail please. I think I need/want each motor to free wheel when not in use.

Ways I want to utilize it is, use gas when batteries are low/dead, use gas for up hill, have large alt. to charge battery bank while on gas. I want the gas motor shut off when not in use.

Good idea, Charley. Way back when I was an Engineman, in the Navy, we had an LCM landing craft with twin shafts, with two Detroit 6-71s on each shaft. They used a Twin-Disc gearbox. Each engine had it's own clutch to engage or disengage from the reduction gear. Something like that would work. But, I bet the whole Twin-Disc assembly weighed about a thousand or so. You may try looking around the web for something in the marine use field. I'm sure some company made a twin engine single shaft boat somewhere. Good luck.

Funny thing ... shortly after starting this thread I get a notification from "Instructables" about a DIY hybrid car. It was basically a Geo Metro someone made all electric then later added a propane generator to keep the batteries charged/topped off extending it's operating range.

So now maybe a small 4 cylinder diesel Perkins coupled to a gen head mounted in engine compartment along with electric motor[S[dr

Let us know how that super-dooper hybrid works out!!![P[;):D

I get the drift of what your trying to do now....you want a in/out box on each motor....also with a clutch....cool. They're all over the place! All you need is a jack-shaft with a cog-belt setup.
What ya think Bonehead?

All you need is some current sensing circuits to engage and disengage the electric motor and generator system....like a linear actuator....to engage the levers.....or use servos....[P;):D

Wisconsin Air Cooled engines (model VG4D ) used an over center clutch system. Referred to it as a PTO clutch. Pull the lever one way and it would disengage the clutch and the engine freewheels, go the other way, and it would snap over center, and lock up the clutch. The engine drives what ever it's hooked up to one on one, direct drive. Google "Wisconson Air Cooled VG4D PTO Clutch" and you should find a fair amount of info. Wisconson also has exploded views of the parts, and you can get a good idea whats there. Also, there is a magazine called "Farm Show". They have had numerous write ups on converted homebuilt electric vehicles. A guy out in Alberta did a Ford Ranger, but didn't use an engine, just batteries. Said it worked ok, just not in the winter...no heater!!

Cool!!! Hey, You know that they even have hybrid BigRigs now. I wonder why they didn't do it sooner, because the technology has been there. Lok at the Diesel Locomotives....its nothing but a hybrid on steroids![P[;):D

I was thinking of a simple clutch, on each engine, where either could be engaged. Alot of old tractors had hand levers that would throw the clutch.

What would really be cool is to be able to keep my slant six, use an electric motor along with either a diesel or LP generator mounted on the rear with welding capabilities also, then it would be a hybrid/flex fuel vehicle.

I will start my search for parts now but for the welder/genset I want old school.

I already have a complete veg oil processing system for cleaning the veg oil if I run the diesel generator on veggy + over 200 gallons of veg oil.

The most difficult part will be tying the 2 motors into the same/existing transmission.

None of the electric/hybrid cars seem to have it, but why not have a roof covered with those photoelectric cells that will charge the battery anytime there is daylight.

There are loads of modern highly efficient ones out there, in various formats.

I have given that much thought but only have about 8 or 10 sq ft for panels which would not be a very good cost/effective solution.

I love solar energy but it is not real efficient when you figure cost versus it's capability. I will not rule it out though as an addition to everything else plus it adds a "cool factor" to it.

I have also been playing with wind mills made out of electric trolling motors that would be a cool addition to the system, they clamp on and fold down when not in use.

tiger-z100-twin-engine-640.jpg

No, I'm looking to save fuel not burn up the rest of what we have in the ground lol but I do like that.

or I guess it's kinda what I'm talking about if you make the motor on the left a slant 6 and the one on the right an electric motor

Best way would be to have the gas engine driving the electric motor shaft, with a clutch to disengage it when you ran just electric.You'd need another, foot clutch behind the electric motor to shift gears. Old LeTourneau earthmovers had a similar setup, but it was a generator behind the diesel, to run the electric motors that controlled the bucket.
By the way, a diesel-electric locomotive isn't a hybrid. It has no batteries, the engine runs a generator that runs motors on the wheels. No storage, no motion without the I/C engine running.

Best way would be to have the gas engine driving the electric motor shaft, with a clutch to disengage it when you ran just electric.You'd need another, foot clutch behind the electric motor to shift gears. Old LeTourneau earthmovers had a similar setup, but it was a generator behind the diesel, to run the electric motors that controlled the bucket.
By the way, a diesel-electric locomotive isn't a hybrid. It has no batteries, the engine runs a generator that runs motors on the wheels. No storage, no motion without the I/C engine running.

All except for the batteries.....I stand corrected Ron...;)

Latest posts

Back