Multi engine questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bonehead, in that article that I posted above, the builder used a single starter on the rear engine I believe. I think that would be the way to go. The coolant plumbing is another issue. Notice how it's done here:

Thanks Gastrick, this is just the info I hoped to get here. And that is another issue, alignment! On that T bucket the air intake is one piece, and the headers look to be the same. You could build a sub-frame that holds the motors, and motor mount that to the real frame of the car. Or hard mount the engines without rubber.

Thanks Gastrick, this is just the info I hoped to get here. And that is another issue, alignment! On that T bucket the air intake is one piece, and the headers look to be the same. You could build a sub-frame that holds the motors, and motor mount that to the real frame of the car. Or hard mount the engines without rubber.

That's what I was thinking too. It would have to be done one of those two ways to maintain coupler alignment.

I hate to tip my hand but Not only do I have the front axle figured out, I have come up with something I have never seen before that will change budget rat rods forever. Shhhh.....

Okay Maddog, since I know no one else is looking now, here is the deal. You know I have a killer rock buggy that I scale nasty rock formations with. A few years ago I broke the front 10 bolt so badly that gears broke through the bottom of the 3rd member. I guy on the trail said, boy I can't wait to see what that looks like inside, I told him there was no point, I would just get a new axle, because that was junk. As usual, I was wrong. Now I have decided to cut the 3rd member out of the tube, and sleave it on the inside.
I will end up with 3/4 ton front outers at any width I want. Disc brakes, tie rod in front. 3 inch tube straight axle. The real cost is free, and there are a lot of these axles around. $200 will buy them all day long with a good center section. Bad news is they are heavy.

Okay every body else can start looking now after this post. Has this been done already?

Not sure I fully understand but I like it anyway. It never ceases to amaze me what guys like you will come up with. :D

Would the 2 engins be going in the rock buggy?

Hows your back?

I think it is a 3 inch tube. My plan is to cut the tubes just outside of the rear end, and toss the center section. Then sleeve the inside of the tube with another tube, and add in a 3 inch tube dia to match the section I cut out. I'll go out and drag back some pictures.

You can imagine this without the center section in it. It has heavy duty disc brakes. Without the inner axle shafts and 3rd member it shoud be much lighter.

Attachments

• 10 bolt.jpg
    10 bolt.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 20
hey bonehead, i get a few 2 wheel drive jeeps a year. i'll pull the axle if ya need it. they are as shorty said just a straight tube that is dimensionally the same as the 4x4 rear but no punkin. also i have been contemplating a twin engine settup as well. but i'm also thinking about a THINK OUT OF THE BOX engine instead. when i see it, i'll know it. i almost bought a bus on ebay a few weeks ago because it was said to have an 8v92 detroit diesel but it was a v-6 instead. the bus sold for under 500 bucks by the way. i could have pulled the motor and doubled my money scrapping the rest. and got the motor free. weight is the only real issue if i use a big diesel, but my 41 chevy is a 2 ton truck. the axles and suspension are up to the task.

Thanks RW, You should hang on to those and sell em to the hot rodders, I am going to make my own, cause now that I have come up with the idea, I have to see how it works. I too am looking at some odd ball engines, but still coming up with frame ideas and things. I called a guy from the paper who had a detroit diesel, but he had already sold it. I think great minds think alike.

Latest posts

Back