Ever Seen One Of These?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
Since we have the new engine forum and there isn't much here yet. I thought this would be fun to look at and discuss. I wonder what a headache it was to make this work? Not your average sbc, that's for sure.

Backwards SBC

Does it work?
I have seen this car in alot of differant places and never have I seen it any more finished than it looks I your pictures :confused:

The engine runs. I don't know about the rest of the car. This isn't the first time this has been done. I've heard of it before. I just had these pics saved because it's interesting to look at, at least to me.

I will have to look, I have seen in one of my books that one of the bigger names used to make reverse flow flatties and they actually made more horsepower. I can't remember right off hand in which of my books this is but I will find it.

Incredible!

I've see a couple of these... that is incredible & beautiful. You can only imagine how many stares that thing gets!

BoB

Flathead reverse

Attachments

• reverse.jpg
    reverse.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 130
backwards

I can see this working upside down
But the article said they had to reverse the rotation of the engine
And that is BULL ! the engine did not need to turn backward if it did the car now will have 4 reverse gears and 1 forward gear :eek:
Even if they flip the rear it will not work
They mite put a reverse cut 4x4 center in it and that will help
But what about the trans is not going to hold together turning backwards
Sounds like the guy writing the story did not do his homework

Last edited:
I might be wrong here, but don't the Toyota engines turn in reverse from say a SBC. If that is the case, could you just use a "Yota" tranny and rearend?

I'm only asking... I don't know for sure...

I'll be honest, i've never seen this in person nor do i have concrete proof, but running an engine in reverse should be possible. I've talked about it before with circle track racers. Something to do with the pistons moving diffrently giving them more inertia in the direction they need for those circle tracks. Also, if someone can fabricate a motor like that, there is no reason they couldn't make the necessary changes to a transmission needed to run it. I'm not saying it would be easy or cheap. But it would be possible.

Think about it

Hey guys....I've been wanting to get in here to help out. But I'm going to deal with the one wire alt. thing first.

I'm trying to get a car done for a customer in the morning, so I have to be brief.

Think about this, ( and I hope you guys discuss it).

How does the piston and rod combo know if the crank is spinning clockwise or counter clockwise?
All it knows is it's going up and down...........

Hopefully I'll be back tonight and tell you why this was done back in the day with good success, and most importantly what engines it was used on.

P.S. you can use the standard tranny, etc..........put your thinking caps on, there will be a test.......lol:D

Someone get in here and answer this thing before I get back........

Tracy

Boats with inboard engines sometimes use engines with opposite rotating engines , i`m sure Don can give more info on them.

well i know that they did it on flatheads so they could breath(im not 100%) better.and dosei'nt chrysler engines rotate backwards as to a sbc or sbf.:confused:

I'm no engineer, but I don't see whay an engine would have to be counter-rotating to make this configuration function properly. It seems to me that most of the issues would be with valve and ignition timing, requiring a really tricky camshaft.

I'm no engineer.

Gastrick....what would you knowing how to drive a train have to do with knowing how a engine works......:D

Really though, you get the prize!
That's all it boils down to, camshaft timing.
Rotation has nothing to do with it.

This was used years ago on some Flathead, nailhead, and a few other engines that had close to same size exhaust and intake valves. Someone saw that the exhaust ports had as good flow as the intakes.
These engines made more torque and h.p. that way.

That small Chev. pictured looks cool, but would be a stinker from a power standpoint. Very poor exhaust flow will be the reason. Poor velocity.

I was trying to give some hints on page one, but no one bit.

If anyone wants to build one, I know an awesome cam designer.

Tracy

Latest posts

Back