Ever Seen One Of These?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WIZEGUY, I was thinking that from a power standpoint, that engine would not be the optimal way to go. If it was, you would see it applied more often by race engine builders on a sbc. But it certianly is a neat conversation piece and interesting to look at.

Gotta go now. I'm late for my train driving lesson :)

Last edited:
WIZEGUT, I was thinking that from a power standpoint, that engine would not be the optimal way to go. If it was, you would see it applied more often by race engine builders on a sbc. But it certianly is a neat conversation piece and interesting to look at.

Gotta go now. I'm late for my train driving lesson :)

???????????????????????????

Isn't that what I said?
Or am I misunderstanding you?

WISEGUT??????
I know I need to drop a few pounds.....but come on.........:D

Tracy

Hey guys....I've been wanting to get in here to help out. But I'm going to deal with the one wire alt. thing first.

I'm trying to get a car done for a customer in the morning, so I have to be brief.

Think about this, ( and I hope you guys discuss it).

How does the piston and rod combo know if the crank is spinning clockwise or counter clockwise?
All it knows is it's going up and down...........

Hopefully I'll be back tonight and tell you why this was done back in the day with good success, and most importantly what engines it was used on.

P.S. you can use the standard tranny, etc..........put your thinking caps on, there will be a test.......lol:D

Someone get in here and answer this thing before I get back........

Tracy

you can use the trans ya just have to flip the ring gear on the other side of the pinion or flip the rearend over to make it work, but rear wont work well if ya dont plug the vent hole.

Jim

???????????????????????????

Isn't that what I said?
Or am I misunderstanding you?

WISEGUT??????
I know I need to drop a few pounds.....but come on.........:D

Tracy

Yes, that's exactly what you said. I was just adding that i was thinking along the same lines.

Oh, and I edited my typing error in my last post as not to appear that I resorted to childish name calling without cause :D .

you can use the trans ya just have to flip the ring gear on the other side of the pinion or flip the rearend over to make it work, but rear wont work well if ya dont plug the vent hole.

Jim

Actually no...
You don't have to change anything other than the camshaft.
The engine, tranny, and rearend set up do not change.

Tracy

Yes, that's exactly what you said. I was just adding that i was thinking along the same lines.

Oh, and I edited my typing error in my last post as not to appear that I resorted to childish name calling without cause :D .

OK..I get what you were saying. It's funny how words typed can be read different ways.

I didn't think you were name calling on the WIZEGUT......I was just trying to make a joke...:D

Tracy

OK..I get what you were saying. It's funny how words typed can be read different ways.

I didn't think you were name calling on the WIZEGUT......I was just trying to make a joke...:D

Tracy

I took it as a joke Tracy and it was really funny because I didn't realize I had made the typo until I was reading your response :). How embarrassing.

I'm still dizzy looking at it.
My Uncle built a flathead V8 in which 2 cylinders fired at the same time so it was a big 4 cylinder. He said it wasn't any faster than the V8.

This car belongs to Cob Burandt, hailing from Minnisota. This guy is a mechanical genius. He had the first patent on varible valve timming. He built it on his own corvair. This reverse induction sbc does run, and last he and I talked he was trying to solve the problems that the motorcycle carbs have posed. The engine had little power with the set up he had in the picture, tho it did run and drive. He also has his own web site which I can't seem to locate right now. If I find I'll post it up.

Oh my god, i'm trembling! That thing's badass! Reverse feed(?) or however you call it. I've seen it on flatty's but never on a SBC. Way cool. It shouldn't take more than a special grind cam to do this in answer to someones question. I just don't know about the now smaller intake, and larger exhaust valves performance?

Hey guys....I've been wanting to get in here to help out. But I'm going to deal with the one wire alt. thing first.

I'm trying to get a car done for a customer in the morning, so I have to be brief.

Think about this, ( and I hope you guys discuss it).

How does the piston and rod combo know if the crank is spinning clockwise or counter clockwise?
All it knows is it's going up and down...........

Hopefully I'll be back tonight and tell you why this was done back in the day with good success, and most importantly what engines it was used on.

P.S. you can use the standard tranny, etc..........put your thinking caps on, there will be a test.......lol:D

Someone get in here and answer this thing before I get back........

Tracy

An engine like a 383/440 mopar would know because the wrist pins are offset
The first reverse rotation sbcs started showing up on roundy round tracks in the 50s, they kept the torque loading of the chassis in a lot more favorable condition.
I have seen other reverse sbcs and even saw pics of one reverse flow with ohc.

Latest posts

Back