Solving the dreaded 350 SB Starter mystery?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31ModA

Need some advice gents. Gotta 1979 Chevy 350 SB linked to turbo 350 tranny. 168 tooth fly with correct high torque delco offset bolt set up starter...,After repeated stranding due to starter lock and grind I have shimmed starter elevating lock up but have noticed starter is moving after several starts causing the dreaded grindddd...so, want to brace up the starter as these GM, weigh a ton and see if this will cease movement. Just cannot locate CORRECT brace for 1979. Any one know part for motor casting 3970010?

I don't think I've ever had to brace a Chevy starter. Very few have I had to shim. But shims would probably do the trick if all you have is a mis-alignment problem. Are you trying to put some kind of fancy aftermarket starter to this? if so, why??? Either way your block is set up for starter bolts, 2 will usually do.

Do you have starter bolts? Regular bolts will work loose and let the starter walk. Starter bolts have a knurl that takes up the slack in the mounting holes.

the easy way to check a starter fit on a gm is to use a 1/8" welding rod. clean the flux off and stick it between the flex plate teeth and the starter shaft. if it is tight then add shims using both bolts, if it is loose add shim to outside bolt only. it should be a snug fit but should go between them with ease. i hope this helps as i have had a monster of a time using a big truck block and auto trans. to the point i'm going to put a truck bell housing and bell housing mounted starter. as far as the forward bracket goes it may be hard to find one as most people take them off and throw them away.

starters

Try a late model starter from an LS block (yes they fit!!) I have one on my truck, but have a 153 tooth flexplate, also had one on my Chevelle. I don't have the correct p/n offhand, but if you know a good parts guy he/she can look it up, O'rielly's helped me out. These starters are about half the size, are gear-reduction, and work great up to 11 to 1 compression (may work with higher c/r, but that's what I had and it worked) good luck, if you need help finding a p/n, I can look thru my old receipts and see if I've got it

I would think if after several starts it grinds you have one to many shims is this the correct flywheel for a chevy or a 307 buick .. ? I had a buddy with a 307 . well he said thats what it was, and it would start one time the not the next .. and he was putting a small block chevy starter on it , and he had trouble with it till he sold the car ,, The man he sold it too bought a buick starter and he said it fixed the problem ,, I thought they were the same IDK ? I guess the teeth were not a perfect match ?

My starter saga continues.....after shimming and getting a dozen starts she stranded me again today requiring dreaded tow... Thanks Hagerty...anyway, got home and took starter loose repositioned, torqued and she started up but still on noisy side. Got under and pulled starter gear out in flywheel and way to much gap in the gears so removed all shims got two noisy starts then grind city..checked gap again and still to much...not sure next move, bottom of block only appears to have offset bolt patter option so don't think gear reduction mini will work....

Yankee, it's definitely a mystery at this point. Yet to figure it out. Flywheel appears ok, no visible cracks, warp etc but in the car tough to assess.

This may seem like a stupid suggestion but, bear with me and check.
Your flex plate may be mounted on the crank backwards.
This will not let the starter engage properly.
The other is, the solenoid arm, inside the starter may be bent and not engaging Bendix fully.
Get under the vehicle and have someone activate the starter so you can see what it is doing.
I've never used the support bracket once I've removed it.
If this is a starter you bought to replace one? then take it back and get another one.

Few pics of my starter, fly and bolt pattern

What's everyone's thoughts on wear on starter gear and flywheel? Offset holes are what I have been using on 168 tooth fly, the parallel hole is smaller so think offset only option...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back