Freaky looking connecting rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Ok, so I decided to go ahead and take a look at the bottom end of the 429 that I pulled from the Fairlane. I needed the oil pan for the new 460 ,so it gave me a chance to look at rods and mains. When I pulled the oil pan , it was very clean . To my surprise ,the connecting rod on the number 3 cylinder was copper colored. Almost as if someone had dipped it in copper colored stain. All other rods looked normal , but some were down close to the copper on the bearing. Now, this motor ran very strong with no noises before I pulled it. But, the oil pressure was right at 25 psi at a cold start. Do you guys think that maybe this rod got hot for some reason? I pulled the bearing and it looked worn ,but not as if it were about to spin. Nothin I n the pan and the oil was clean like new.

NO NO NO. I don't know why that rod is copper colored, but in 15 year working in an auto machine shop a lot of stuff comes from the factory that way. There never seemed to be any difference in the copper colored parts other than the color. If it had spun a bearing it would have been blue from the heat. I would just use the part over and don't worry about it.

Here it is, and it's not rusty.
image.jpg

I've seen them like that. Maybe that one rod was replaced with one from a different batch at one time, or maybe it happened when the motor was manufactured.

When you pull it down see how the part numbers on the rods compare with each other.

Don

I've seen them like that. Maybe that one rod was replaced with one from a different batch at one time, or maybe it happened when the motor was manufactured.

When you pull it down see how the part numbers on the rods compare with each other.

Don

I just did. Same part number.no biggy,it just looks funny all by itself different color.

Latest posts

Back