4 Bangers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should 4 bangers be used in rat rods?

• Yes

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes with provisions

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Rat rods absolutly not

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TinLizard

Is anyone using or building with 4 bangers? I'm looking for ideas to build a lakes modified or a speedster with a 4 banger. Pictures if you got 'em. I have a '87 Volvo for donor car. :D

Heck yeah dude, 4-bangers are cool.

There has been a big resergance lately if for no other reason than hig gas prices.

"QUAD 4" is a sweet engine.

The VOLVO you have is a great engine as well.
besides there are some fantastic foreign engins out there.(Napz nissan/datsun)

Who knows!?

Who knows, if gas keeps goin' up like this... we may all b takin' a harder look @ 4-bangs! ; - >

BoB

here`s a 20R Toyota in my `32 chevy

Attachments

• IM000329.JPG
    IM000329.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IM000505.JPG
    IM000505.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 44
24Dodge, What years and models did that engine come in? ANy hop up and dress up equipment for them?
Bob

Toyota 20-22R are probably the toughest little 4 banger around. Go to the dirt track and its Toyotas and Ford 2300s, There is a lot of good stuff out there for them. I always kind of liked that old Toyota Hemi, 3TC or 3 CM I think it was, came in the late 70s Corolla.
Then there is the Iron Duke Pontiac 2.5 motor. There is some speed stuff around for those and they came in lots of rear drive cars like the Monza.

I'm runnin a 3tc Hemi head Yota in my 33 ford pu. Should be fun to drive and get killer milage. Plus I didnt have to fight any problems with steering, brakes, ect.

Jim

Attachments

• 33night 002.jpg
    33night 002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 15
  • HEMI4.jpg
    HEMI4.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 19
  • firewall 002.jpg
    firewall 002.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 34
I believe they were produced from 1975-76 until 1983 , then they became the 22R which is a little larger, the race guys trick is to use a 20R head on a 22R engine

Think of it this way if someone gives you crap for runnin' a 4 poper...

Thats what most of these cars came with new..I say go for it !!!!!!!

This is one of my favorite 4 bangers. Model B Ford dragster with Joe Gemsa overhead conversion, Kong Jackson front cover/mag drive. Runs low 10s
I just noticed that the one picture is the spare so this is 2 Gemsa B motors

Attachments

• Gemsa head 005.jpg
    Gemsa head 005.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Gemsa head 002.jpg
    Gemsa head 002.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Gemsa head 004.jpg
    Gemsa head 004.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 16
Absolutely would be cool, and you could afford to actually USE it a lot more. Gas just hit $ 3.50 a gallon down here, so I am considering finding an old Toyota rear wheel drive donor car and using the engine, tranny, and rear axle to build a little modified. I had two Toyota Corollas and you couldn't kill the darned things and I got 35 mpg. In a little T I bet you could get 40 mpg.

Plus, some are little Hemi engines and you could buff up the valve cover and it would look cool.

Don

i ran ford 2300 in my race cars for 15 years. they are great little motors and lots of parts still around. sounds good at 8000 rpm too.:eek:

Latest posts

Back