Speedometers- who is knowledgable?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freakdude

Im wondering if anyone can tell the the ratio on the sending unit on a 1990 ford 4 speed? Also tipically what is the ratio on a 40s speedo, does it vary by manufactorer? Is a 40 Chevy, Ford, Pontiac, Plymouth the same ratio on their speedos? Are 40s cars tipically transmission driven or wheel driven? Any help is appreciated. Im running a Beetle dash with a Ranger 4 speed and trying to come up with a suitable speedometer donor. I think the speedo hole is somewhere around a 4 inch. It looks like the 40s speedos are a similiar to the size and type as the Beetle, but the VW is wheel driven, and wont work with my application.....

What dat!?!?

Speedometer... what dat!?!? ; - >

Attachments

• dt.jpeg
    dt.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 22
My understanding,is there are only two different ratios used in Speedometers.

1:1 and 2:1
I think that works out to 3000 rpm = 60 mph or 3000 rpm = 30 mph.

The drive ratio,in the transmission,will vary according to
the rear end ratio and tire size.

Nice Tripper, that looks like my dash...Thats helpful guys....Cycledog, that transmission link is great.

Last edited:
Tripper and I are both instrument-challanged. :D:D It will be very interesting if a cop every says to me "Sir, do you know how fast you were going?" and I say "No !" :eek:

Don

Tjustbackfromupholsteryshop006.jpg

2500 rpm's

Tripper and I are both instrument-challanged. :D:D It will be very interesting if a cop every says to me "Sir, do you know how fast you were going?" and I say "No !" :eek

Er... guess I could say about... 2500 rpm's!?!? ; - >

Don,
Man... that interior looks AWESOME!!! Don't think I've seen a finished shot!

Freak, sorry... didn't mean to hijack!

Thanks guys. Sometimes I do regret not putting a speedo or tach in it so I have some idea of how fast I am going, but I just loaf along and let people pass me figuring that I am under the speed limit. My excuse to the cop will be "but Officer, they didn't put speedometers in 1923 Fords!" :rolleyes::D:D

freakdude, if you call United Speedometer they will be able to tell you how to tell and what you need to hook it all up.

www.speedometershop.com/

Don

Latest posts

Back