10 miles away

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallfoot

He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!
https://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/d/1930-model-delivery/6510546475.html

attachment.php

Attachments

• 00808_bGqcH768Gjh_600x450.jpg
    00808_bGqcH768Gjh_600x450.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 106
I watch a lot of You Tube videos of cruise in's in the Tampa area. Seems to me that everything around there is crazy expensive.

Never fails when ya have projects up the wazzoo that stuff comes around. Yessir Eman, I check CL every day in parts and cars and truck for 3 cities around here. That shows me most of the stuff in my immediate area.

OOH! OOH! OOH! Oh my! So you like to scan Craigs and torture yourself like i do SF.

Never fails when ya have projects up the wazzoo that stuff comes around. Yessir Eman, I check CL every day in parts and cars and truck for 3 cities around here. That shows me most of the stuff in my immediate area.

Who among us doesn't [ddd
Went out into the world myself yesterday to check out this little CL gem.
For the heathens among you it is a 40 Mercury coupe wich was the base for one of the most beautiful Barris customs ever built. The Matranga Merc.:cool:
Now to go and buy a lotto ticket....:D
Torchie

Attachments

• 28378266_10156182024096252_7163360454151117325_n.jpg
    28378266_10156182024096252_7163360454151117325_n.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 36
  • search.jpg
    search.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 31
Awesome Torchie!
402471-1.gif

It could be eman.:D
They way it sits right now it looks like someone was going for a race car/Gasser thing.
Nova rear end with a 327 and P glide in it. Original Merc frame that has been had the X mostly removed.:rolleyes:
Still has the Merc front axle but the wishbones have been Cut.
My main interest in it was for the body which is in decent shape.
He wants $1900 with out the engine and trans and it has a clean Title.
As my sainted Mother used to say when she wanted something to happen...."Time to light a candle.":)
Torchie

It could be eman.:D
They way it sits right now it looks like someone was going for a race car/Gasser thing.
Nova rear end with a 327 and P glide in it. Original Merc frame that has been had the X mostly removed.:rolleyes:
Still has the Merc front axle but the wishbones have been Cut.
My main interest in it was for the body which is in decent shape.
He wants $1900 with out the engine and trans and it has a clean Title.
As my sainted Mother used to say when she wanted something to happen...."Time to light a candle.":)
Torchie
I'll even light a candle for this, and I don't roll that way. :rolleyes: I would really really really like to watch you doing your magic on this car.

I'll even light a candle for this, and I don't roll that way. :rolleyes: I would really really really like to watch you doing your magic on this car.

Thanks Skip.:)
I don't roll that way either and my Mother liked to remind me of it....[ddd
I'm keeping my eye on it just in case.......
Torchie

I'm going to vote with the guys, Torchie, I also want to watch your magic.
Could you make the 'B' pillar disappear, though? That was the only thing that made a gorgeous car, ugly. You'll notice why the Matranga car is perfect, chopped, tail-dragger, and CURVED B PILLAR.
Good luck making your decision.

I'm going to vote with the guys, Torchie, I also want to watch your magic.
Could you make the 'B' pillar disappear, though? That was the only thing that made a gorgeous car, ugly. You'll notice why the Matranga car is perfect, chopped, tail-dragger, and CURVED B PILLAR.
Good luck making your decision.[/QUOTE

LOL Mac the decision has been made. Just lacking the funds.... But you never know as everyday is something new.:)
It's just ironic or the Universes idea of a bad joke that a car like that would show up near me.;) :eek: :cool:
Take a closer look at this better pic of the Matranga Merc. The Barris shop removed the B pillar. Laid out the window shapes and made up the frames.
The frames on the doors stayed in place when the glass was rolled down and I believe that possibly the rear quarter widows slid into place.
The decision to remove the B pillar was made by Nick Matranga when he came to work on the chop with Sam Barris and saw the roof lowered and the B pillar gone. He told George Barris to figure out a way to leave it out. The new style "Hard top convertibles" had been released in 49 when this car was started.
And a classic was born...
The front end was left virtually stock other then shaving some chrome trim off the hood and filling the hood seams.
There have been many versions of this car done since and mine would be only adding to the list. But still......:cool:
Torchie
p.s.
As some one once said of this car. "It's like taking the dorkiest kid in school and making him into the Prom King.: LOL

Attachments

• CCC-barris-nick-matranga-merc-lares-01.jpg
    CCC-barris-nick-matranga-merc-lares-01.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 1940-mercury-coupe-scta-flathead-custom-ford-original-merc-1.JPG
    1940-mercury-coupe-scta-flathead-custom-ford-original-merc-1.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 27
Torchie, Torchie, Torchie, what are you doing to us? Those last two cars aren't brother cars, they're not even cousins. How could you say, the dorky one is related to the King?

LOL. One is the stock version of the 1940 Mercury Coupe. And the other is the Matranga 1940 Mercury coupe. Hard to believe they they are the same car, eh, Mac.:D
The 40 Mercs were beautiful cars but the roofs on the coupes......:eek: :eek:
The Matranga sported a couple of first in the customizing world. The obvious one is the "Hardtop convertible" (As GM called it) style window trim and the other less noticeable one is the raising of the windshield up into the roof when they chopped the roof.
Barris had done a couple of other 40 Mercs prior to this one and when chopped they had a "Mail slot" for a front window which made for real poor visibility so they raised this one up 1-1.5 inches. Depending on who and what you read about it. Then they chopped the front of the roof 4 inches and the back 7 inches supposedly. I believe that they also sliced an inch out of the back window as well.
Ahh yes. To dream.......

Latest posts

Back