Texaco sign

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

My Grandad had the very first Texaco gas station in Corpus Christi, Texas. I wanted an old Texaco sign, but they go for over $200 . I decided to use a piece of 1/2" plywood I had laying around and just paint one myself. It aint perfect, but neither am I. I airbrushed some rust on it to make it look old.

0212181514a.jpg

0220181006.jpg

You sure are artistic... that thing looks pretty darn real...

Thats an excellent piece of work!

A big X2, or is that X3? [cl

There is a truck stop restaurant in Lincoln AL that has their original Texaco sign inside mounted to the wall, it's huge, about 6' tall. And it looks just like yours, except their rust stains aren't quite as big, I think it was cleaned before it was put up. Been on the wall I know over 20 years.

You're right on the pricing of originals, they have gone out of sight. Wife's Uncle is a picker, he used to be able to find original signs a few years ago for nearly nothing. Now, due to TV shows, everybody wants a mint for a rusty, unreadable sign just because that saw one on TV sell for a big number.

GULF and TEXACO are my two favorites. My great Uncle had a TEXACO station when I was a kid, and my old man used GULF oil, we used to go to the distributor and buy it by the case because it was cheaper and nobody else would sell that much at one time. No Walmarts around here back then.

Very very cool. I tried to buy a local John Deere metal dealership sign and the guy wanted 2600 for it! Didn't need it that bad!

while nowhere as cool as yours, I took an old red metal flying saucer sled, rattle canned it and got the graphics place to cut me a vintage Cokacola to put on it. It hung on the side of the garage about a year and some guy wanted to buy it. I told him $100 and that it was a sled. He bought t anyway.

The fad for old signs started with restaurants and bars wanting them for decor.
Now it's the "Man Cave" thing. I'm about as tired of that term as I am of the use of the word "Awesome." Or maybe I'm just feeling grumpy.[ddd
The sign you made looks great![cl :cool: :D
Torchie

Make your own

Appreciate your nice work. I just bought a small reproduction of the same Texaco sign. I'm thinking a 4 ft version out of plywood on my shop wall. [S
Thanks for sharing.

[cl

well done blacksheep! [cl

not my favorite term, either... Sounds "alternative lifestyle" to me. :eek:

!!!

x2

Great work on the sign.

I know a lad who duplicates Van Gogh, Picasso, Group of Seven, etc., fine art.

He is extremely good at it.

Works as an industrial electrician.

Latest posts

Back