New Fuel Pump Died

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
89, assuming it's a 5.0, will be a roller cam motor. I think you will need to swap the distributor for either a points style, a DuraSpark from an 85 Mustang GT manual trans, or use an aftermarket HEI unit of some kind. The factory distributor with the FI works with the computer, so I don't think it will work without the FI in place. Whichever route you go, you need a STEEL gear on it to mate with the roller cam. I bought one on eBay for $35, but the pin hole was wrong and had to re drill the shaft, not easy. I then bought a small cap HEI, it came with the steel gear, first one was warped, the replacement they sent me worked fine.

Any 289-302 carb manifold will swap on, I'm using an early Performer 289 on mine with a Summit 4 barrel. I like the Summit carbs because there is no gaskets below the fuel level in the bowls, one less place to leak, and they take standard Holley jets and such. You will need a regulator to cut the fuel pressure down to 6 psi.

I usually just take the bed off to swap in tank fuel pumps, but if the bolts are rusty, this can be a nightmare. Did the one on my previous 99 F150, used the cherry picker to pick the bed up and roll it back just enough to get to the pump.

With this CT truck getting those bolts off would be a nightmare. The roller/flat tappet cam is one place of confusion. I have read that the car motors changed around 86 to roller but the trucks didn't until early 90s. I have been thinking of going Summit manifold and carb unless I can get a used manifold. New carb definitely. Thanks. Jim

I wouldn't scrap it. The price of scrap is so low. I changed a pump through the floor of the bed once. Drill a hole in the bed and cut with a sawzall. No grinders or flame cutting[ddd

I am glad you said sawzall. I was on the fence if I could used a grinder but was going to lay a welding blanket between tank and bed. Thanks. Jim

Latest posts

Back