Gas bottles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

We just learned something we never knew. We got a copy of Ron Covells book and in it he discusses gas and oxygen bottles. He says if you do not open the valve all the way on top that gas will escape into the air and you will lose it because the valves have a stop at the closed position and one at the open position. If you just open it half way it is not sealing the gas from leaking out.

Just thought I would mention this in case someone is doing what we always did and only open the valve part way.

Don

It has been since high school since I had any instruction on this, but we were taught to open the acyteline 1/4 turn, and Oxygen all the way. Don't know why it was taught that way, or if it is right or wrong.

Same as Bonehead. I was taught to backseat the oxygen valve by opening it fully. I think it is to prevent leaking around the packing on the valve stem.

Leaking O2 is never good! You may also want to check your insurance policy. Most insurance companies will void your policy if you have a fire and there is an oxygen bottle inside! My insurance agent knows I work on cars and clued me in, that's why I use a plasma cutter. There are things a plasma won't do like heat up metal like a torch does but I can't take the risk.

Beercan

Supposedly, the valves have two seats on them, on at the top and one at the bottom. When you crank it all the way open it seats the top one and prevents gas from seeping out. At least that is what Ron Covell says.

I do know that if you don't shut off the tanks when you are done using them gas will seep out. We learned that one the hard and expensive way when we had a couple of tanks go dry because we forgot to shut the valve off at the end of a welding session. :eek: You only make that mistake once or twice. :(

They also say you are supposed to shut off your oxygen and acetylene tanks at the tank then open the knobs on the torch to release pressure to preserve the seals on the torch. I rarely do that, but I guess I should.

As for the risks of having oxygen and acetylene, I couldn't get along without our torches. I use them a lot for heating, bending, and stuff like that which no other tool wll do.

Don

Latest posts

Back