Will this work?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bones

Well everyone i need a welder so ive been looking for one [;) . I found this stick welder at castle rental that i can get a really good deal on :D . Its the one in the pictures below. I will be using it for welding sheet metal like chopping a top and building a floor, But i will also be using it on thicker things like mounts for springs/motor/transmission as well as building a custom frame. Im new to welding so i was wondering a few things, will this do what i want, how much is it worth, and how can i tell its in good operating condition without actually welding? :eek: Sorry for all the questions i want to know if im making a good deal or not. Ive welded with a stick welder i think twice so im pretty new. Here's what i found on the genteck stick welder-
Place of Origin: Zhejiang, China (Mainland)
Brand Name: genteck
Model Number: BX1-200F
Arc Current: 60-200A
Pulse Frequency: 50/60Hz
Rated Duty Cycle: 10%
Dimensions: 48*27.5*32.5cm

Attachments

• 1357167937637.jpg
    1357167937637.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 1357167944616.jpg
    1357167944616.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 1357168900008.jpg
    1357168900008.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 28
And for welding sheet metal with a stick welder. It can be done but it takes talent. You can ruin some tin fast with a stick welder.

I dont know anything about stick welders my experience with welders are migs. the china made welders will work for sheet metal and a good welder maybee able to weld thicker steel with it. I went threw 1 used clarke welder and a brand new harbour freight welder they burned out quick. For the price of the 2 of them i could have bought a used Lincoln that i passed on now a buddy of mine owns it is a damn good welder it is a 110 welder and out welds my second harbour freight 220 welder. You will get what you pay for unless you get real lucky. Just my 2 cents buy a miller or a Lincoln or other good name brand welder you will be better off.

Price is = to very limited use..jmho....

there asking price is $70 [S Will it weld what i want it to? What would be better for sheet metal?

I think I'd save my money and get something a little more Versitile...again..JMHO....as was said you have to be pretty good to stick weld sheetmetal....

Bones,
I don't post very often however I think your needing some help, especially if your asking about that welder. If Seligman Missouri is where you are then PM me and maybe I can steer you in the right direction ( i'm not far away). Buying a welding machine won't make you a welder.........good luck.....ruggs

This is probably not the welder you want. 1st, you can buy a used Lincoln stick welder for 100 bucks or less pretty much anywhere. They last forever, are American made, and are more than likely going to be a more reliable machine than the cheap Chinese version.

And 2nd, a stick welder would be great on frames, it is not ideal for sheet metal. Years ago I told a guy I was working with, (bragging), I could weld two tin cans together, (with my stick welder). I was welding pipeline at the time, but I had never tried to weld two tin cans together. The next day, he shows up with two cans. I was able to do it, but it was really hard. I doubt if I could weld a chop top, with stick, without over heating it, and or burning holes in it. It is going to be hard to get the perfect machine on your budget. Maybe stick weld the frame stuff, after you get really good,( practice, practice, practice), and let somebody else do the sheet metal with a mig.

Years ago I told a guy I was working with, (bragging), I could weld two tin cans together, (with my stick welder). I was welding pipeline at the time, but I had never tried to weld two tin cans together. The next day, he shows up with two cans. I was able to do it, but it was really hard. I doubt if I could weld a chop top, with stick, without over heating it, and or burning holes in it. It is going to be hard to get the perfect machine on your budget. Maybe stick weld the frame stuff, after you get really good,( practice, practice, practice), and let somebody else do the sheet metal with a mig.

I carry a SMAW certification for welding tin cans (20ga steel studs:D in my old line of work) It is no fun welding someting thin with a stick.

Hey Bones, take it from a guy with zero experience with welding. I tried to learn on a small arc welder, but I couldn't lay down an inch of weld without screwing it up. I was told to leave the welding to the pros and pay someone to do my welding. After years of paying, I decided to try again. I bought a Chicago 120 volt flux core wire welder from Harbor Freight, ($100). It was easier than I thought. I started with lawn furniture and wrought iron stuff just to practice on. Within a week I was welding on my rat rod. Yes, I've done everything from tin work to engine mounts. It's not as quick as a stick welder, but you can weld 3/16 inch steel to a frame. Just make sure you grind and check your welds. Tin work is not as easy, it's all in the settings, but it can be done. Also invest in a good auto darkening helmet. I got one from Harbor Freight, ($60). Word to the wise. Don't try to build a frame or anything with heavy stress points with a flux core wire welder. Pay a pro with a good welder for that. Everything else like 1 1/4" angle iron, struts, supports, hangers, and the like can be done on a flux core wire welder.

Sorry

I havent been on here in a while, a few things came up and i got kinda busy, so the welder was the last thing on my mind. Im back and im picking up an engine and trans this weekend. I Can actually start collecting parts so the welder situation is back. Still on a tight budget...around 100-150 dollars. Maybe something that can weld frame. Any ideas...ive been welding with a mig alot here lately but its the schools so i still need one. Thanks everyone for all the help :eek:

Latest posts

Back