engine turned/ machine turned finish

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Here's what I did: I cut about 2" off of the end of the 6" stick and chucked it up in my drill press."
I like what you're doin and the first runs look real good [cl
Do you have a drill press that will hold a 5/8 rod or did you do something else to get it in the chuck :confused:

Jim

Thanks Old Iron. I've been experimenting with the RPMs and such and I think the work is looking better. I'll post some pictures soon. Yes, my drill press has a 5/8" chuck which is just barely big enough to hold the stick.

Niiiiicee

very good job with the engine turning. i had wanted turning on a panel for pinstriping, i layed out a grid on the bare alum panel and used my hand drill with a red scotchlok pad. i was going for a large pattern that got sprayed with candy after all was done. i wished i had a pic.

Thanks Mike. You're panel sounds bitchin. I wish you had a picture of it too. Pinstriping on top of engine turning sounds cool too. Also, I see you're from Sac. With shops like Tognotti's, Vintage Ford and the So-Cal speed shop in town, I'd be broke if I lived there! :D

Attachments

• KoolAprilNites 006.jpg
    KoolAprilNites 006.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Mike. You're panel sounds bitchin. I wish you had a picture of it too. Pinstriping on top of engine turning sounds cool too. Also, I see you're from Sac. With shops like Tognotti's, Vintage Ford and the So-Cal speed shop in town, I'd be broke if I lived there! :D

its a good thing that i am already broke, but honestly most of the shops around here are staffed by a bunch of good guys that are willing to share their knowledge.

We did some of that years ago and we used a wood dowel, with valve lapping compound. Worked great. The dowels come in all sizes and they are cheap. You can also do a larger dowel and turn it down in a lathe so it will fit in your drill press.

i did engine turning on a custom dash i made for my mudder, a 90 dakota 4x4, i used one of the surface prep cookie disks, forget what grit, in a drill press and it worked ok... once you learn how much down pressure it takes to twist off the plastic threaded part of the disk..... like i said it turned out ok, but there seems to be lots of good ideas here [cl

Latest posts

Back