what thickness metal?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbandit

if you are buying metal to make doors inner and outer center posts between doors and put in new floor what thickness would you need for the three items thanks robertbandit

Part of this depends on what you can weld. 16 gauge is plenty heavy, but it is much easier to weld. 18-20 gauge works fine, even better if you have a bead roller.

Metal thickness?

I believe that pre WWII cars had 19 gauge material for most all of the body parts. As Bonehead said 18-20 gauge works great, is much easier to shape and get. I use 16 gauge on floors because I like the flat look and there is no need for beads if you use a structure underneath. If you really want to get into it try to buy AK (Aluminium Killed) steel. This stuff is unbelievable to use. It very hard to get because no place will stock it and there is usually a minimum order quantity. When we buy it we get a bunch of the local guys together and order a lot. It is expensive but man does it work great. My 2 bits worth. Have fun Steve

Last edited:
I use 18-20 for all the same reasons that have been listed. My plan is to use 18 on the floor of my 32 ford pick up project

Latest posts

Back