Keg Tank - Who has em?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tecster

Alright well I've hit a score here! Long story short went to a buddies for a few brews, what's he got on his porch? A damn empty keg he's tryin' to part with, SCORE FOR FREE! [cl[cl

So now I've got me a keg, but I need advice from the pro's as far as making it into a gas tank.... I know I need the following.

- Filler Neck / Vented Cap
- Outlet for fuel to fuel pump with soft line. - Ideas?

Anything else I'm missing?

Brackets to mount it. Also, I put a small bung for a fitting top and bottom on the side and put a clear fuel line to work as a fuel guage.

Care to elaborate on this fuel gauge idea?

The mount is gonna be out of pressure treated wood and is going to sort of cradle it.

Give me a few minutes and I'll go take some pics.

Perfect. Also if you can take some pictures of your fitting placements?

Also - there's a fitting on top with a hose that goes to the bottom of the tank on the inside right?

Ok, here ya go. Normally the whole thing is see through, but I didnt have enough so I put a piece of copper line to make up length. As the fuel level raises, you can see where it is at in the line.

Attachments

• 100_0819.jpg
    100_0819.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 99
The filler neck is just the $15 steel one from Speedway with a vented cap. On the bottom, it was hard to take a pic of the outlet, but all it is is just a bung welded in that lets me screw a fuel line fitting in and you place it on the very bottom. If it runs out of gas, you are OUT. Also you can see my bracket I weld to them for stands. Easy to do. Reason the brackets are painted, the neck, bungs and brackets are mild steel and they (and the weld) can rust, where as the keg is stainless.

Attachments

• 100_0821.jpg
    100_0821.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_0822.jpg
    100_0822.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_0823.jpg
    100_0823.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 76
The filler neck is just the $15 steel one from Speedway with a vented cap. On the bottom, it was hard to take a pic of the outlet, but all it is is just a bung welded in that lets me screw a fuel line fitting in and you place it on the very bottom. If it runs out of gas, you are OUT. Also you can see my bracket I weld to them for stands. Easy to do. Reason the brackets are painted, the neck, bungs and brackets are mild steel and they (and the weld) can rust, where as the keg is stainless.

See, I was suggested to put a bung on top so it doesn't leak - but I guess if your welds and hose is put on properly then you shouldn't have an issue right?

Any suggestion where to get bungs?

I saw a filler neck for sale for dirt cheap on speedway cause its in their "garage sale" section.

See, I was suggested to put a bung on top so it doesn't leak - but I guess if your welds and hose is put on properly then you shouldn't have an issue right?
Before you put fuel into it, take your air compressor, put about 10psi of air into the tank (I just use a blower tool with a rag wrapped around it) then spray your welds with soapy water and look for bubbles. If you see any, weld it again.

Any suggestion where to get bungs?
Its just a simple internally threaded bushing, ANY hardware store has them. If you ever bought a set of new guages, there were probably 2 or 3 adapters you could use as the bung.[/QUOTE]

I saw a filler neck for sale for dirt cheap on speedway cause its in their "garage sale" section.

Make sure it isn't fubar. Some of their sale stuff is just opened and returned parts, some of it is junk, like they had "pre used head gaskets" on there. I wont reuse my own gaskets, let alone someone elses, let alone for only a $2 savings :eek:

Its just a simple internally threaded bushing, ANY hardware store has them. If you ever bought a set of new guages, there were probably 2 or 3 adapters you could use as the bung.

I don't believe I'm not sure what you mean by new gauges?

Wgen you buy new guages, the semp sending unit isnt "universal" so they include 2 or 3 adapter bushings that are threaded internally and externally. Those can be used, If you dont have any, just go to a hardware store and ask for STEEL threaded adapter fittings. Usually in the plumbing isle. Hell, sometimes I just tale a steel male airline fitting like from an air tool and weld those in direct.

Wgen you buy new guages, the semp sending unit isnt "universal" so they include 2 or 3 adapter bushings that are threaded internally and externally. Those can be used, If you dont have any, just go to a hardware store and ask for STEEL threaded adapter fittings. Usually in the plumbing isle. Hell, sometimes I just tale a steel male airline fitting like from an air tool and weld those in direct.

That's what I was thinking of doing, wasn't sure if it was possible. Obviously put a little baby hose clamp on it too right?

Always clamp hoses unless they are the snap connection type. Raw fuel can get scary, fast.

I was thinking for the appropriate hose fittings I would use the barbed air nipples like from Oxygen supplies in Hospitals, I would weld a nut into the tank where I wanted it, then with some teflon tape wrap the threaded end of the air nipple and put it in the nut and get her snug. Then put the soft fuel line on there with a hose clamp.

Sound appropriate?

I was thinking for the appropriate hose fittings I would use the barbed air nipples like from Oxygen supplies in Hospitals, I would weld a nut into the tank where I wanted it, then with some teflon tape wrap the threaded end of the air nipple and put it in the nut and get her snug. Then put the soft fuel line on there with a hose clamp.

Sound appropriate?
Just be careful, some of those fittings have a very small internal hole. Your 3/8 fuel line could become 1/4" or less real quick.

I've used this guy a lot for all my bike projects...

www.bungking.com
Damn good prices. Thx for the link. Although, not sure I want to be known as The Bung King :D

No kidding! I had to do a double-take on wether or not I was on a dirty website.

Agreed on the airline fitting comment. Maybe you might want to consider fuel valves from a motorcycle that thread into your keg. They make various sizes to fit different diameter hose. Aftermarket stuff for fuel valves is pretty massive...

Dumb question...

why not just put a fuel sending unit in with a gauge from a car/truck?

Just be careful, some of those fittings have a very small internal hole. Your 3/8 fuel line could become 1/4" or less real quick.

Damn good prices. Thx for the link. Although, not sure I want to be known as The Bung King :D

I just am unsure how I would adapt ones from the "bung king" or which ones I can use lol

Latest posts

Back