welding classes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know lots of welders
but they have busy lives and i dont want to impose anymore
and i am for sure tired of paying someone to weld something and the whole time thinking
why dont i know how to do this?
i am going to use the financial aid to buy equipment.
almost every day i read more and more about equipment choices and it seems like a gas powered stick ac/dc 225 + amp unit is the way to go for me.
a lot of the old houses arent wired to handle something like this anyway.

Most times you need a 50 amp outlet for a 220 welder and for some you can go even higher. The wire from the breaker to the outlet needs to be heavy enough. also extension cords need to be of sufficient size. and can run into some money. The problem with gas welders is listening to the, carbon monoxide, never run it indoors or were wind is blow the exaust into the building, if it sits a lot carbs get pluged up and you have to buy gas and have it on hand. They both have good and bad points. Wiegh the options and then pick. good luck.

update
for a student loan i needed 6 credit hours
so after talking to my adviser
i am taking 2 hours of each
stick/wire welding
auto body
upholstery

and they encouraged me to bring the rod and work on it!

[cl

I took 2 years of auto body and thats what I done too .. I fixed up a totaled pontiac lemans and painted another fellas one ton ... I had alot of fun just didnt have time to finish the coarse .. 5 to 10;30 or 11;00 Mon. - Tuseday . and Wed .nights plus 30 mile trip each way ..

I took 2 years of auto body and thats what I done too .. I fixed up a totaled pontiac lemans and painted another fellas one ton ... I had alot of fun just didnt have time to finish the coarse .. 5 to 10;30 or 11;00 Mon. - Tuseday . and Wed .nights plus 30 mile trip each way ..

i am about 2 miles away and am unemployed
when i told the teacher and my adviser i wasnt trying to get a job using my newly learned skills but wanted to fix my own stuff
they both jumped to bat for me
no math classes one 3 1/2 hour safety class
and start welding![cl

I could paint before I took that class ,, i just wanted to learn how to weld panels in and not warp the metal .. I learned a little :D and I have been dirt dob welding since I was 20 I guess , but I had a chance to take a 124 hr. class and get paid for it so I done that ... found out I didnt know a lot about welding ... but I passed the coarse , it took me till the last day to pass the bend test but I did it ..:D

Go Billy! [clYou might change your mind once you get started with that school stuff. Its kinda' fun, really. I'm 100% with ya on the math deal though. It got me kicked out of engineering school in the '90s. :eek: But it all worked out anyway. [clYa just never know what the world will present to you.

Things I learned in welding classes in the '70s:
First and foremost, DO NOT wear polyester pants to welding class.
How to gas weld.
How to stick weld.

This was after I landed a millwright job that required welding skills. :D
My buddy talked me into applying for the job where he just got hired on. Then he showed me how to lay down a presentable bead with a stick welder over the weekend and a few beers. I was already good with a torch. It actually worked!

Years later, I discovered meg welders, and was hooked.

Welding classes

I was teaching a night class at the College and had a free night so i Signed up for one semester Tig class, They started us on Gas welding , I had been doing oxy-acety for about 50 years but only done a little Tig on an old Airco, NO foot pedal, just set the amps and go. I finally bought a used Lincoln Square wave 255 Tig, and need to practice on thinner material. There are some good welding sites on the web. I get a welding video every week from Jody Collier , Welding tips and tricks .com
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

i am so excited to get the cab and bed looking good on my hotrod. i want to drop the floor 4 inches as well[cl

This will open a whole new world to you.
Things will pop into our head that you never thought of doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bws.jpg

Latest posts

Back