Welding steering u-joints..here's a lil tip!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz

Livin' the rat roddin' lifestyle
Just alittle tip for you new guys starting out building ratrods.
3-1-08001.jpg

Whats wrong with this picture? Well there are two things, first the ground clamp is on the wrong side of the u-joint to be welded. Cuz the ground clamp should be on the same side as the weld so the current doesn't flow thru the u-joint possibly arcing thru the needle bearings and damaging them.
The other thing wrong is that the u-joints are out of "time" with each other. They should be in alignment just like the u-joints of a drive shaft.
Have a nice day!!:D

The other thing wrong is that the u-joints are out of "time" with each other. They should be in alignment just like the u-joints of a drive shaft.
Have a nice day!!:D

How about a close up,showing the right and wrong way to orient the u-joints ?

Thanks

Tips are always useful, I known about the earth clamp but never thought about the alignment of the UJ's makes sence.

Thanks

Good advice on welding. Other than cosmetics is there any other reason to time a steering shaft? I know why you time a driveshaft but that dynamic doesn't really apply to this I don't think. Just curious, inquiring minds always want to know why. thanks

I thought I would revise this thred because I just figured out why my steering shaft wants to turn in an egg shape. It's because my u joints are out of time. Good tip for me , and just thought it might help others new to steering shaft construction,.[cl

I have to add. When I welded steering joints like that I also wraped a wet shop rag around the u-joint to keep heat out and not cook the grease out of the needle bearings.

Latest posts

Back