product review / english wheel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
I know what some of you think about harbor freight. But let me tell you the where as and the what fors. I was looking for an English wheel for the shop and had been looking at $2500 units. Wholesale tools advertised one for $600 But when harbor freight advertised one for $250. I got interested. I want to learn how to use one, so getting in cheap now and selling it later if I need to upgrade is an option. The frame is solid and the anvils look good. I dont think I can build one for $250.
Bought it yesterday evening and put it together. It is heavy, as it shoud be and goes together easy. it is a simple machine so there is not much to break. Also I think I'll be able to add some beef to it if I need too. 30 minutes later I was shaping some copper. I picked copper first because it is softer. The tool works well. But I have yet to work 16 gauge steel, which is it's max thickness limit.

Attachments

• english wheel.jpg
    english wheel.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 65
Thanks!

Bonehead,
Thanks fo the review. I want a wheel but a $2500 toy is out of the question... savin' for a plasma cutter right now. But $250... that's pretty hard to beat. There's on fairly close by & I'll go check it out! Thanks again!

BoB

Thanks for posting that Bonehead,
I have been playing with the idea of getting something like this but have been limited on funds here lately.

Bonehead, you just about have me talked into buying one of these. I have been wanting one for years, but have never pulled the trigger. I have quite a few things ideas for things that I want to make but I need a wheel to do it right. Let us know how it works on steel and aluminum.

let us know for sure bonehead, i'll be wanting my own in the next year or so as I get into more of this metal fab stuff.

You guys know how HF is.... sale price is $250, list is $400. Additional anvils cost extra. I have had a rain check since March. I guess they are way back ordered right now.
additional review: machine is a little front heavy. it has places to bolt to the floor, and that would work well.

thats the truth, i never buy anything there that is not on sale unless i really need it and i can't get it somewhere else. There list prices are usually not much better then higher quality products from the competition.

You guys know how HF is.... sale price is $250, list is $400. Additional anvils cost extra. I have had a rain check since March. I guess they are way back ordered right now.
additional review: machine is a little front heavy. it has places to bolt to the floor, and that would work well.

So whats the update,Machine sound like a decent tool.Have you tried any aluminum or and sheetmetal?I am also intersted i a decent english wheel.

Worked a small chunk of aluminium yesterday. Wheel works good, but like most HF stuff needs a little fine tune. The cam design to snug up the wheel is kind of lacking. The additional wheels are still on back order, so I can make a nice 6 inch radius on copper, and aluminium. Have not had the time yet to try steel yet.
So far I just have curved pieces of sheet laying around, have yet to actually make a project yet.

The upper wheel should have a curve in it to help the lower anvil "push up" the metal from the bottom. This requires less wheeling to put in the shape, which won't work harden the metal as much.

But I agree with you, for the money it's not a bad deal.

i buy alot from hf but i have a few guide lines that i personally use

1.dont buy anything electrical/battery powered
2.dont buy anything used for fine measurement i.e calipers,dial indicators etc
3.watch out for items with no brand name printed on them

on the other hand i buy alot of chop saw blades drill bits and they have really cool "kits" assorted o rings cotter pins electrical connectors
solid items are good like chisles (sp?) tool stands (for my grinder)

i also got a engine lift from them it was the folding 2 ton model ive used it to pull my sbc with tranny connected a few times and it is really stable and s****y no flex at all

anyway as with all tools you get what you pay for ...ive been happy with everything ive purchased from harbor freight......good luck all:D

Whoops!!!

Whoops... mite have to lighten up on that one. Never thought it would get it the way like that! Done!

BoB

Latest posts

Back