The making of a Helve Hammer...............

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2T

Still running with scissors!
the smallest town in the smallest county in the s
As some of you know, my brother and I make art work using metal. We decided we needed a helve Hammer for work and for the '41 Ford coupe we plan to chop............We went to Metalshapers and found Jim Bailie was building a new hammer, if it's good enough for him it's good enough for us!
This is what we have so far.....
100_2300.jpg

We are using an air motor with a foot controlled valve for controling the speed. I'll post more pictures as we progress............

Nice!

T2T,
That looks really good and I'd love to see some of the pieces you make with it. Other than hammering body parts etc., I have to admit I don't really know what it is used for but I'm looking forward to finding out! Thanks for posting!

Rattler

It works...............!!

Here is the power plant we used.......it's an air powered motor. Also pictured is the crank ass'y. The pictures tell the story.
100_2342.jpg

Here is a close up of the crank shaft.........
100_2344.jpg

Here it is all conected ready to roll..
100_2348.jpg

This is a close up of the leaf spring used to give it the "slap" needed to form metal.............
100_2351.jpg

I have to post a picture of my brother, he built this tool and did a great job!
He is still working on dies, but we did try the hammer and it works...........
100_2293.jpg

Sweet!

Tom,
That is really nice work... my contrats to u & u're brother!!! I really can't wait to see what u guys make with it!!!

Isore

How many rpm does the motor turn under load ?

Jim Bailie first used a small air powered drill,
later switched to an industrial sewing machine clutch motor.

I considered air motors,untill I saw the price of a new one.:eek:

Latest posts

Back